Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss It would appear things have changed.. in the Main forums forums; I had a follow up with my doctor today. After comparing notes with the pain management doctor that did the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM

Default It would appear things have changed..

I had a follow up with my doctor today. After comparing notes with the pain management doctor that did the discogram, they feel both levels, L4-L5 and L5-S1, are causing problems.

He is recommending a fusion at both levels with the Medtronic Peek Rods?

I have also consulted Dr. Gerardi (sp) in regards to the Active-L clinical and am awaiting a response. However, that may now be mute since we have a 2 level problem.

I need to get this taken care of and would love some input from Mark and others. I'm kinda floored at this point!!
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 AM

Default two level prob

I don't know what type of shape your facet joints are in or what other factors might be at play however I have 2 levels at least identified as problematic/concordant for pain at L4 and L5S1 and I've been given the option of ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1. This satisfied the one level disc replacement FDA approval situation here in the US and the moderatively degenerative facets at L5S1 for me. I must admit I've done nothing to date surgically.

Last edited by Maria; 03-20-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Marty,

Deciding to go forth with surgery is difficult enough without adding the stress of which type of surgery. ADRs may be state of the art but are they recommended for your specific circumstances? Can you afford the cash cost, too expensive in the U.S. but increasing in cost in Germany because of the dollar's free fall.

Your doctor is recommending a 2 level fusion. Is he well versed in ADRs? Does he also perform this surgery? At this point, before making any decisions, a second and possibly a third opinion would be in your best interest and preferably with someone knowedgable in ADRs. Finding the best doctor is one of the most difficult struggles in this battle. You may already have him, maybe not!

My thoughts are with you, Dale
Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Sorry you have multi-level damage. I don't know where you are but can you go outside of Tri-Care? Perhaps you're a candidate for a fusion/ADR combo and why not the best. So if you need names...If you do get a fusion, I hope your adjacent levels aren't affected by DDD (which I suspect are OK as you're young).

MMA is the best - from the distance. - ans
Old 04-02-2008, 09:38 PM

I was told that I needed a two level Fusion here in the USA and that I was not a candidate for ADR, but I found Mark and he help me get a Fusion/ADR from Dr. Bertagnoli, it was the best thing I have ever done. I also got BCBS to pay for the surgery but that was becasue of the hospital that my wife worked for, Plans are differant between each work place, this makes it very confusing, I was very Luck!! But If I had to pay for it I would still do it, I lived with pain for almost 20 years and the last 3 have been painless. the best of luck to you!!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 AM

Default Update

I haven't been around in a while and have been focused on rehabing myself to make this transition a lot easier when the day comes. As of right now the fusion is scheduled for July 18th.

I have been working my tail off building the core areas as well as the rest of my body. Unfortunately I still need my opiates to get through the day especially with the training I have been doing. Some days I almost feel like just giving up and just telling him to get it over with. I have had great support from my wife in staying focused to my goals. After a good 5 weeks of doing my own thing (under Doc's supervision), I have noticed some changes. My back still hurts like hell and still getting some burning in my glutes, but I am standing upright rather well. Squatting and bending is not as bad as it was and is tolerable while on the meds. Sitting too long seems to be the kicker as well as making movements too fast.

The pain down the legs has seemed to subside quite a bit, but the toes are still getting numb. The best part is, it's not every day. Some days are of course better than others. Just being able to move around the front yard with my son is a great mental boost.

I'll continue this regiment for another 5 weeks while adding some other things to the mix to aid in some recovery and possibly healing. I'm still optimistic that things can be reversed with the right combo of things. I am keeping a log of everything I am doing in the hopes that it can help others if I can keep the knife away for as long as possible.

some things that I have been looking into and being very proactive in doing:

Increasing collagen synthesis to the point of attempting to heal some things up. I'm not saying I am trying to seal up the rupture, but if I stop the degenerative process and those enzymes that eat away at things, maybe the body can do it's thing.

Some mild HRT to help muscles heal and recover at a faster pace.

I have increased my Glutamine intake to 20 grams per day. This is also for muscle recovery as well as Natural Growth hormone release to also aid in recovery and growth of new tissue. Not to mention the awareness and mental stability to help keep the depression away.

I will be doing some super glucosamine intake over the next 5 weeks to see if it helps.

As of right now I am having surgery to fix it. But if I can keep making progress, I will hold this off as long as I can.

I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for all of the support.
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.