Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss L4-5 ProDisc Bertagnoli - 5 years post-op! in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE: 7/5/04 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 51 SURGEON: Dr Bertangoli SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: St Elisabeth's Straubing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Default L4-5 ProDisc Bertagnoli - 5 years post-op!

SURGERY DATE: 7/5/04

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 51

SURGEON: Dr Bertangoli

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: St Elisabeth's Straubing

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s):Prodisc L4/L5

COST =24,000
AMOUNT BILLED:24,000
INSURANCE ALLOWED:0
OUT OF POCKET: 27,000
TRAVEL: about 3 k in air & hotels food etc. for 2 people with short notice for getting airline tickets so not the best rate - we had one weeks notice.
EXPLANATIONS?

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: MVA 4/94
Broke my pelvis in 3 places, door came in on left Arm, neck hurt & low back hurt.
PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): Lamatomey, facetomey, & discetomey in 02 to be able to walk again moderate to severe stenosis.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: 1/2 lortab once a day to twice a day MSM, Vit E, Vitamins

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): 3 disco's over that time period of 10 yr's 1 myleogram 6 ESI's

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): Legs & bladder problems

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): 95 % back 5% leg pain Unrelenting constant hades at the end - progressive spondylo was bone on bone - MRI didn't show this or the fragments or the extent of the spondylo - I was about 95 % slipped off when they went in & no longer aligned.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: been a bit 5 yr's now

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Good ! I was walking that day & took trips around the floor with IV pole the next day. 3rd day I released myself & walked 2 miles.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY: 5
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION: 5
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

Don't forget the detail update section below!

DATE UPDATED: _5 yr;s later ___ FUNCTIONALITY: _5__ SATISFACTION: _5__ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [4 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: __5_ SATISFACTION: _5__ [5 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [7 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): some left leg numbness from sitting too long & some pain if I sit too long otherwise good

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

4 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

5 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): Still the same as 1st year the left leg is slightly worse but again only if I sit & if i keep moving no leg issues.

6 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

7 YEARS POST
Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Hey Jill... great news! Wow, 5 years out and still going strong. I'm so happy for you. I hope that you'll make some comments on your case... you mentioned above, but I want to make sure your case gets discussed.

As I remember it, you had very clear contra-indication to ADR with the amount of slip that you had. Can you please tell us what your decision making process was like. Is the slip still an issue? Do you you have to be careful about knocking things out of whack or has everthing stabilized?

Thanks for posting!

Papa
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 AM

Yes Pops that is correct - at the time of my implantation I was one of only 3 in the world to have a ADR for a spondylo. I also remember Dr B. telling me in his opinion I had the worst single level disc he had ever seen in his approx. 18 yr's at that time. What a dubious distinction. What was in this decision making was knowing the disc or the lack of one was in NO doubt my pain generator of IMMENSE proportions. I had a Lidocaine Facet injection at L4L5 just before leaving for Germany to be sure the facets were not a issue I requested this here just to be sure of their status in this equation. They were arthritic but nothing I have not been able to manage & they were NOT the source of my pain. I basically had nothing left to loose I was at the end of my rope & things were getting pretty bad leg wise again for pain with nerves being compressed. I didn't wait 10 yr's of refusing a 2 level fusion just to have one now & I knew I had to have this surgery or wind up being someone's ER fusion a 2 level one - I had no choice left. Oddly a S.S. from N. Carolina was there in the room learning how to do this surgery as Dr B. operated on me - he said I would have been the same thing I knew someone's ER fusion in less than 2 wk's time. I barely made it in the nick of time. I refused Dynesis alone as I knew it would not do anything but to stabilize me - the long standing pain of 10 yr's was the disc level not the recent Spondylo & so I refused Dynessis surgery alone with Dr B & Fenk- Mayer this stalled thigns by 2 mo's until i told Dr Fenk - Mayer I needed their help was serious but I needed to talk to them 1st to tell them I needed to address the discogenic pain. Dr B. called me & by my asking him questions & he me he agreed I needed the ADR the most as I felt & he said if this slipped later on I would need Dynesis. So far so good & L3L4 which was herniated has also stayed thanks to the ADR - Dynesis alone I feel over time I would have blown that level which now the studies have shown so I am glad.
We had one week's notice as Dr B worked me in as a emergency case. My MRI never showed the full extent of the issues & Dr B had a painstackingly long surgery - the USA doc said I got perfection that day. I believe God was in the room as the Great Physican. As you may remember Mark I woke up to only surgical pain the old pain was gone! I never looked back & heck no - I have fallen more times since my surgery than i care to count - for one reason or another. Some of the falls have been hard & I broke a rib over my heart last summer - my ADR has survived & stood by me. My issues are now being caused by a sleeping monster I had hoped to keep asleep as long as I could my neck. - It is still not the pain level of my low back but it is limiting me in way of my arms & it is nagging. I posted my info on my neck under Old Lumbar now a Cervie I think it is called. I have not taken a pain pill since the 2nd day of my ADR surgery. I have kept moving & truly enjoyed a time with no pain in many many years. Now it is Headaches & what feels like someone is choking me on my neck etc. arm pressure & some nerve jolts in the arm & shoulder pain the normal Cervie drill I guess. But I have the T.O.S. as a 2ndary to my neck & it compromising 2 Arteries & other issues that I know I need to address. I feel I am impinging especially with movements backwards especially if I look up or move my head back on my cord & nerves.
With all of the rain we have constantly had this spring I can get quite inflammed & arthritic. I know I can get better - it's just a matter of when - like it was before. It is real but a solution is also real.
Jill
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 AM

Wink

Mark - the title of the update about my neck & TOS is under ISpine called -http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1555-cervical-now-old-past-lumbar-sufferer.html Bad when you cant remember what you named it
We sadly have more in common once again with the necks i was playing catch up in reading about your own case. I am glad you are on the other side - but you need to slow down just a tad for a bit that was alot of surgery. I know I went at things full speed after my ADR surgery & it maybe why I got the MMRSA colonized Staph infection. After that surgery to remove that from my body I was pretty run down for a bit. I know easier said than done to slow down - I didn't but I dont want you to get down sick as I did either in pushing yourself too hard. Tommorrow is always another day. Of course I also understand wanting to play catch up & being driven.
All the best - Jill
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Default pseudolisthesis

Hi Cavalier,

I'm posting it from Japan.
I'm seeking ADR for my l5s1. I'm told it's retrolisthesis or pseudolisthesis.
I'm glad if patients like my disc can have some hope for ADR.
comparing to your condition, I'd appreciate if you could give me comment
by looking at my mri picture in my album.

thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 PM

I am not a doc but i have gotten good about reading MRI's sadly from my 10 yr's & in looking with different doc's one took the time to really show me. I dont know where to find your album at but you can tell me where on this forum - I will look obviously the best is having a Proficient ADR doc take a look.

Best - Jill
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 AM

Hi, if you just click my name KenG, album is at the right hand side.
you can see 2 mri there. thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 PM

OK Ken - I saw where your films are at - thanks I didn't know how or where people posted those at I had to reread your note - as I looked at your films 1st in what I honestly thought in my UNPROFESSIONAL Opinion - of what I saw if anything for a issue. I immediately saw your L5S1 as jumping out at me for a problem. I thought geesh I dont see his L4L5 as being the bad boy but this is what I would be worried about - when I reread I OK good yes - That is what they have identified. Have you been given a grade ? Although dont be surprised if the grades given by differing doc's will vary. I was more slipped off than this however so if it were me I would do what I did back then & get the world's best opinions you can find. I went to Dr B. for my surgery as you have read & I have no regrets - even though it was expensive & more time consuming I have only one back, one life & had already had one failed surgery already that I did trying to do it the easy way close by & having insurance to pay etc - so I have found convience does not always equal what is best for you. But yes I think you have chances of some hope but I would leave that up to Dr B. & the other top spine doc's but a retro or a spondylo is not for a average spine doc - you need really one of the best to handle a more complex case as you have more risk of issue and those are better handled by those who have dealt with them more. That was the advice given to me by a Spine doc himself & I have not forgotten it - it was & still is sound advice. let us know what you find out - but keep in mind you will get various opinions with a condition like this I know i did.
Best - Jill
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Hi my name is Ramiz, I am going to have the same surgery and I need your advice and thoughts about how your surgery went. If you could please contact me I'd really appreciate it. My number is 916-802-0280
Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Hi Ramiz,

Welcome to the forum. Please start a new thread and tell us about your situation and your upcoming surgery. We're here to help.

Dale