Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Piriformis surgery on 9/8/09 in the Main forums forums; I will be having left buttock piriformis surgery on 9/8/09 in Cleveland, Ohio for my continued butt/leg/...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Piriformis surgery on 9/8/09

I will be having left buttock piriformis surgery on 9/8/09 in Cleveland, Ohio for my continued butt/leg/calf pain, cramping and weakness. The surgeon says it should take 30-45 minutes. There is no PT or rehab needed. He basically said that I could return to work ASAP dependent on my pain tolerance. Hopefully one week from work will do. Anyone have any feedback re this surgery would be appreciated. Thanks

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Rob,
What does piriformis surgery entail and how did you come to a conclusion that this is the cause of your pain?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Piriformis surgery

To be honest I really do not know a lot about this surgery. I have pain and cramping in my butt and leg as symptoms. I have had this pain for at least 2 years and none of the other surgeries relieved the pain.

The surgery entails separating the gluteal muscles and removing the piriformis muscle. some surgeons just detach the muscle at one end but my surgeon believes the removal gets a better result. I think that I will be off work for 2 weeks.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Rob,
Have you tried Botox in your piriformis muscle yet? I have had one shot and it has brought great relief. I am going to try another before I have surgery and remove that muscle. Let me know how you do if you have it removed. I did hear it was an easy surgery but I was worried about losing that muscle. I have had buttock and leg pain for over 3 years and this is the first thing that helped in any way.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM

I have not had the botox just prolotherapy. The prolotherapy was not ultrasound or X ray guided. It was just in the surrounding areas. I have had this for awhile ~ 2-3 years. The pain with activity can be severe. I am starting to get it in my other butt and leg as well. Maybe I am jumping the gun but I am ready as I am tired of it. I believe that I am going for it. Maybe it will get ridof the other side that is starting to cause pain in my butt and leg. I feel very confident that I have this problem and I feel my surgeon is the right man to do the surgery.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM

http://www.imissurgery.com/pdf/Slipm...20Syndrome.pdf

This is the best article I have found re piriformis. The authors believe that the complete removal offers the best chance to ensure complete decompression and to decrease the likelihood of recurrent compression from scarring of the muscle on the nerve.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 AM

Default Periformis surgery

I have been struggling with periformis sydrome for over a year. I have had two back surgeries that have not relieved the pain. I saw that you were from Ohio. I have been struggling to find a doctor clost to home that does this surgery. My Dr. has been looking also but we have come to a dead end. Could you tell me where you had your surgery and the name of the Surgeon? Anything you can tell me would be great.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM

My surgeon was Dr. Bohlman at University Hospital in Cleveland. I believe that Dr. Furey does these surgeries as well. He is also at University Hospital.