Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss C4-C5, C5-C6, Prodisc - C (Nova); Dr.B in Bogen in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE: 10 September 2009 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 35 year old male SURGEON: Dr. Bertagnoli PATIENT ADVOCATE: Tim Vicknair, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Default C4-C5, C5-C6, Prodisc - C (Nova); Dr.B in Bogen

SURGERY DATE: 10 September 2009

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 35 year old male

SURGEON: Dr. Bertagnoli
PATIENT ADVOCATE: Tim Vicknair, European Medical Tourist

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Bogen KKH; Bogen, Germany

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): 2 level with Pro-Disc C (Nova); C4-C5, C5-C6

COST = 28,978 Euro
INSURANCE ALLOWED: 96%
OUT OF POCKET: 4% + travel, lodging and entertainment

ONSET OF CERVICAL PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: As an active duty submarine officer, was involved in a head-on submarine crash on January 8 2005 when the USS San Francisco hit an uncharted underwater mountain going flank speed. My head hit the wall going 34 knots. Since then, I have had neck pain and radiating arm pain that has increased in severity, intensity and duration over time.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): 2 epidural steroid injections to C5-C6 and a discogram to C4-C5.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: 20 mg OxyContin, 10 mg Cyclobenzaprine, and 900 mg Neurontin

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES: Severe radiating right arm pain with tingling and intermittent numbness. Occasional neck pain.

PRE-OP CONDITION: 70% arm pain, 20% neck pain, and 10% depression / fatiguability

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 72 hours

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Had a fantastic time in Bogen. Dr. Fenk-Mayer and Dr. Bertagnoli opted to do a discogram before surgery to ensure scope of treatment was correct. Ended up doing a 2 level ADR at C4-C6 instead of a 1 level ADR at C5-C6 as a result of this procedure.

On day of check in, had a discogram, refresher x-rays, an EKG, a check-in with pro-spine and a meeting with Dr. Masyk, the anasthesiologist.

On day of surgery, I was the third of three cases. The first was a 3 level cervical ADR, the second a lumbar case, and the third my case (2 level cervical). Went into the OR at about 5:00 pm and the surgery lasted until 8:30 pm. Spent the night in the ICU. Had some pain through the night and was very dehydrated. Was up and about the next day after being released from the ICU arm pain free. Have felt great ever since. Worst of it was the first night post op in the ICU by far.

I am very happy with my decision and am thankful to Dr. Bertagnoli, Tim Vicknair, and the rest of the Pro-Spine team.

+ 2 level ADR with Prodisc-C (Nova) performed on 10 Sep 09 (C4-C5 and C5-C6)
+ Surgeon: Dr. Bertagnoli, Hospital: Bogen KKH
+ Patient advocate: Tim Vicknair, European Medical Tourist

+ Previous failed treatments : 6 months PT, chiroprachtic care, and 2 epidural steroid injections
Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Hey SSN,

Welcome to the forum and a great big congrats for your successful surgery. You're already on the other side!

Many of us sing the praises of Dr. B and F-M. I'm glad he was able to help you.

I noticed your insurance picked up most of the cost. Is this a military type of insurance or private insurance? Most of us had/has to pay for this surgery out of our own pockets.

One word of caution if I may - take your recovery nice and slow. Don't rush it and you should do fine. Overdoing can have consequences.

Good to have you with us. Please keep us posted.

Dale
Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Insurance and recovery

Dale --

In this case, I was fortunate to have a blend of "service-connected" disability insurance and private insurance that covers out of network, experimental, and unproven procedures, which I understand is somewhat rare. My consulting firm is self-insured.

Either way I am thankful and would have paid rather than have a fusion.

Will be sure to follow your advice and take my recovery slow.

Matt

+ Previous failed treatments : 6 months PT, chiroprachtic care, and 2 epidural steroid injections
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Default 9 week post op update

Hi all,

Has been a while since I have visited the boards to see how my fellow spineys are doing.

In any event I am 9 weeks post op now from 2 level cervical ADR. I am fully recovered, out of my cervical collar, running, and weightlifting again. I take no pain pills of any kind, prescription or over the counter.

It is like my problem never happened. I am very thankful for ADR and wish all of you the best in your own personal battles with pain. My only regret is not getting the surgery sooner.

Matt

Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Wow Matt,

Sounds like you are the poster boy for cervical ADRs. Glad to hear the great news. I'd warn you to take it slow but that sounds pretty mute.
Dale
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Smile Two levels rocks!

Matt,

Congrats! I had a similar surgery with Dr. B, just move the hardware down one level. I received the ProdiscC, not the nova. This was interesting to me as others following me within weeks got the nova. (I joke that they needed to use up the inventory!) I'm doing well for the most part too. Still trying to strengthen that core to keep from having to return to Germany for lumbar surgery someday. I'll be having my 1yr anniversary of my new neck in January. I wish you the best! I also only regret that I suffered (and allowed further degeneration-ie bone spurs etc)for so long too.

No bungee-jumping, kickboxing, or wrestling-according to Dr. Fenk-Mayer!
Take care and give yourself some time to rest too.
Jen
Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 AM

Default Great News Im happy for you...

Great News Im happy for you...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I had 3 level ADR w? Dr. on 11/27/09. I'm doing ok. I wanted to see how all of you are doing and what your recoveries were like at different statged.

Thanks,

Wendy