Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Hiking again in the Main forums forums; I'm a little over six months post op two level fusion, front and back with hardware. I can't ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Hiking again

I'm a little over six months post op two level fusion, front and back with hardware.

I can't believe about a month ago I went to Yosemite and hiked (slowwwwly) to my favorite falls; Vernal falls. The recovery from the hike was not bad at all. To be able to do something I thought I would never do again blew my mind. A few weeks later, I did another hike and did a lot of uphill.

Two weeks ago, I got lost up on a nearby mountain but believe it or not did four hours. I have been paying for that. I never ever thought I would do anything like this again. I still have pain, but nothing like before.

Before this, I had a really rough patch and looking back on it I had a tremendous amount of stress in my life so I really get now how much this effects my pain level. I've been volunteering at a mini horse farm (hey they are smaller) which has given me back some confidence being around larger animals.

Anyway, there isn't a day I regret my fusion. That's not to say I don't have days of agony but they come and go much quicker and usually I can avoid them. I just wanted to share this. The doc said he didn't want to xray me until 9 months as this is when he'd see if I was pretty much fused. Best wishes to everyone.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.