Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Adr problem after 2 years? advice please. in the Main forums forums; Hi Everyone, Im looking for some advice as im feeling really frightened due to a sudden onset of awful pain. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Adr problem after 2 years? advice please.

Hi Everyone,
Im looking for some advice as im feeling really frightened due to a sudden onset of awful pain.
Ive got a long spinal history, heres a really brief outline of my history so far:

2005- Accident at work (nurse) results in disc prolapses (L3-4 & L4-5) also found to be hypermobile L4-5 and congenitally fused L5-S1)
2006- Mulitple nerve root blocks tried unsuccessfully (nerve compression)
2006- first surgery L4-L5 disc decompression. (large prolapse)
18 months pain free!!!
2008- Sudden onset of backpain.
2008- Discogram shows re-prolapse L4-5, L3-4 prolapse-disc now torn.
2008- Adr (L3-L4 and fusion L4-L5) 360degree surgery, fusion using bmp, prodisc adr.
2009- Pain increase, bilteral nerve block injections L4-5 Facet joint injections L3-4.
March 2009- Revision surgery L4-L5 to fuse facet joints using bone graft from hip.
Success!!!

It took a very long time to get my health back after my surgeries and ive been back at work full time since March this year, ive also been involved in sport again and been very active, my fusion pain disappeared and ive just had the occasional pain from my adr site.

In the past 2 weeks, from no-where my pain levels have gone crazy, its definitely all facet joint related at the adr site (My pain consultant gave me injections here in 2009 as he felt they were problematic), and I know how my facet joints felt at the fusion site before the revision and fusion of them, this is the same pain just a bit higher)
I have acute hip pain stemming from each side of the adr site, and for the past 2 days ive had awful sciatica all the way down my left leg into my heel.

Im so very worried, I know that something is wrong at the adr site, and the thought of more surgery scares me, I keep telling myself that it may fade and it will be ok, but ive experienced so much over the years with my back, and my gut feeling is that something is awry.
Thanks so much for listening, im just really worried.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Administrator

with the sudden onset of severe pain, did they do some imaging to make sure all is OK?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks, I have emailed my surgeon and asked if he could see me to check things out.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Sarah,

We all get scared with every little new pain, the majority of which are absolutely nothing. The quick onset and severity of your pain does seem more worrisome than just those little blips. In your case, my advice would be simple. See your doctor. It may turn out to be nothing but the only way to calm your fears is to find out for sure. Even if it turns out to be 'something', coping with a known vs. an unknown is still easier than dealing with what our imaginations conjure up.

I wish you every luck - Dale
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Default re your new onset pain

Sarah,
Agreed that seeing your doctor for updated films or opinion is best suggestion and hopefully it will be something that might be calmed down without further surgery tho if you have to go there..well, you've been there.

I'm impressed that you were able to go back to nursing and hope it hasn't been in a strenous capacity altho you sound like you've a well rounded active lifestyle so am just wondering if a rest from "it all" will help your situation too.

Guess you'll soon find out. Please keep us posted and wishing you the best
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Sarah, this may not be related to your case at all, but I had a sudden recurrence of pain a few weeks ago after a very successful double fusion at L4-S1. I had fallen over my dog while going upstairs at night when the light went out. I had also recently started doing my artwork again, which involved leaning slightly over a drafting table.

I went to my chiropractor, as my surgery was done out of country, and with just a tiny bit of work with an activator tool and pressure points, he relieved what seemed to be pain in the exact area of my fusion. It turned out to be SI ligaments, and I need regular treatments to keep the pain down. But it is definitely not related to the original surgery. The relief made me cry in his office.

I jumped to the worst scenario, because the stakes were so high. I hope that this proves to be something similar for you. Perhaps a good osteopath/massage therapist may help?

PS: My chiropractor does not and has never done the 'bone cracking' that so many spine patients fear. I'm amazed at how little he does fixes a big problem.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.