Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Paralysis post cervical surgery of left arm in the Main forums forums; My son has had multiple spinal surgeries , In JUly of 2010 he had more cervical fusion and since the surgery ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Paralysis post cervical surgery of left arm

My son has had multiple spinal surgeries , In JUly of 2010 he had more cervical fusion and since the surgery he has lost use of his left arm. It is as though he has had a stroke. His arm is limp but his hand he can open and close. As well he has swelling in just his hand. He also has lost the ability to walk again. He can move his legs to push the wheelchair, but other than that he is limited . We moved him here from another state as the care at the nursing home was not the best. We have scheduled appointments to see a neurosurgeon and a primary care physician. Until he gets his actually appt., with the neurosurgeon, my husband and I are very very concerned . This was a man that could run circles around anybody. Always a joker . As well he is incredibly talented artistically and now, he is in the wheelchair and his other hand and arm are getting to be like the left arm and hand . Will he get better, or is there nothing that can be done for him?
Can somebody please help me with some answers, I would so appreciate any information

Last edited by sallyD; 10-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Sally, I'm so sorry to hear about your son's (and your family's) ordeal.

What are they saying has happened?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 PM

Sally,

This is truly a sad tale. Without saying something was done wrong because we don't know any details on any level - have you sought another opinion? Have all his surgeries been done by the same doctor?

Whatever, it's time for more opinions. My guess, if this is nerve damage, it needs to be addressed. If this is something else, you also have that right to know why you son had ended up this way. I'm sorry your doctor isn't more forthcoming but you and your son should know what happened and maybe what's still coming. Writing us is provides you with support and some ideas, but you should at least have a basic understanding from your doctor.

Please, ask what happened, why, what comes next and still get that second and perhaps even more opinions. NOW!

I do hope your son improves. Let us know what you find out and we'll go from there.

Dale
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Default re your son

I too am very sorry to read what has happened to your son. I can only imagine his emotional state given his physical limitations/impairments. Is your son at home with you or is he in a rehab facility? Like others I'm wondering what the explanation was for his paralysis and hope that there is something that can be done for him. I hope he has his appt. soon with a PCP and neurosurgeon. You may want to have several neuro appts. lined up just in case you're not pleased with the first and you can move on rapidly without another wait and/or you want several opinions.

My best wishes for your son with regard to his situation and progressive recovery. Thank you for posting here.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Sally my prayers are with you

Did they check for any kind of blood clot around the spinal cord or motor nerves after surgery? I have heard of that happening and if they can clear that it may resolve. This would depend on how long it was compressed, so many variables. It breaks my heart to hear this...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Default stroke and blood clots

I am going to share my story in hopes that it helps you in some way. It may just give you hope that there can be a solution, or it may bring you to ask for more tests outside the spine issues.

I had a cervical injury, mild weakness, strong numbness entire right side. After 9 months I had cervical disc replacement and still some remaining issues after. Eventually it was discovered that I had restricted blood flow in part of my brain that was from a blood clot that lodged there in the brain after my injury. It took 3.5 years from date of injury until I had my first identifiable ministroke, extreme weakness right side, especially the heavy arm and leg.

No one ever checked my brain because my cervical injury was so significant.

I truly hope you find an amazing doctor to pursue this with vigor and solve this issue for your son.
Multiple ministrokes 2009 prevents ADR surgery
As of 10/2010 no relief on radicular C7
Trying to arrange C6/C7 prodisc
FDA has not approved for 2nd Levels on cervical.
Headed to Germany as soon as I am cleared for surgery.