Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 1 week away from ALIF (L5-S1) and Artificial Disc (L4-L5) in the Main forums forums; Hi all, I'm going in for my first (and hopefully last) spine surgery a week from today. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Default 1 week away from ALIF (L5-S1) and Artificial Disc (L4-L5)

Hi all,

I'm going in for my first (and hopefully last) spine surgery a week from today. I have been diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis, DDD, and the typical other diagnosis’s that go along with that. C4-6, L2-S1 degenerated or herniated or what looks like crumbles. I'm only 35. Been dealing with this for nearly 7 years. Due to my job (air traffic control) I am unable to take meds, but I have been disqualified for the past few months and have been working admin as I cannot even begin to get out of bed or tie my shoes without pain meds. I am using the lowest possible drug so as to function, but obviously surgery (previously avoided for obvious reasons) is necessary to return me to a "normal" life.

I am scheduled for an ALIF of the L5-S1 and disc replacement of L4-L5. Going thru the stomach as my back muscles are shot and I was told recovery would be near impossible if they cut thru them.

I'm pretty concerned about my recovery. I'm in pain all of the time, at numbers close to 8-10 every day. I know this surgery isn't an option anymore as my job is now at risk, and I am no longer a functioning mother or wife. God bless the wonderful husband and children I have, as they do everything for me now. If I cannot get my pain under control, I may have to look at doing something other than controlling airplanes, like an office job (not a bad thing).

My passion on the side is making all-natural soaps, and even that has been interrupted by my pain.

Has anyone had this type of surgery before? Can you tell me what I can expect going in and the week I will be recovering at the hospital? What about at home? How long do you think I will be able to return to cooking or just doing some laundry?

Another question: I am out of sick leave due to the crap this back of mine has done to me recently. I am able to take advanced sick leave, but only 6 weeks. Will that be enough to tide me over? All I do at the office is sit in a chair at a computer or desk.

Thanks so much for the support.