View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

In a perfect world...

As a past employer, we had experiences with employees who had various medical problems/disabilities as well as both past and present addictions. We also hired some with previous criminal records believing most deserved a second chance.

Having gone through what we did, we changed our ways, preferring not to hire those with problems - medical, emotional or personal. This did not include diabetics or others with 'controlled' diseases'. Such did not and more than likely, would not interfere with their job or our business. However, two previous drug addicts relapsed and stole from us. Another, who had too much weekend -itis never showed up to work for a week. We were unable to contact her and replaced her only to have her show up the following week, surprised that her job was gone. Unemployment agreed she was eligible for benefits...

A depressed person took off - just left eveything and us high and dry. Her father claimed she was off her meds. The previous day's bank deposit was missing.

Absenteeism costs employers money as does replacing employees. Training, employment taxes, benefits, etc. add up with each new person. We always tried to stay within the legalities of employment laws BUT also tried to stay clear of potential problems. All things being equal, we'd choose someone who had the least amount of problems.

Larger corporations are less likely to ask incriminating questions but are more likely to order drug testing. If a lie was told during the interview process, such as - do you take any prescription drugs...- and is later discovered, the consequences might be severe. If the truth is told, I would not want to hire someone with so much daily pain that constant meds were required. I would definitely not want to hire someone with severe back problems.

The truth is we do not live in a perfect world. I think Aaron is in a difficult situation - the law notwithstanding. No employer could insist their employees not take prescription or otc drugs but might be less inclined to hire someone dependent on them.

Again, let me state that I'm not talking about high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid problems... etc. But someone who needed medication to controll chronic back pain would not be on my hire list - legal or not.

BTW, because of constant problems, when we sold our business in favor of another one, one condition was absolutely NO EMPLOYEES. Having said that, as an employee, I disagree with everything I just said.