Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss My spine today in the Main forums forums; Is really impressing me. I have been at either a hospital and/or Rehab center with my father now since ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Default My spine today

Is really impressing me. I have been at either a hospital and/or Rehab center with my father now since Dec.25th spending at least 5-7 hours/day pretty much on my feet walking halls and caring for my father or monitoring his care re coming along from near death to slow slow recovery (finally on the upswing).

I am thankful for the supposed auto fusion of L5S1 and for the low dose daily pain meds that have held me together thus far. I only hope I will finally get an ESI authorized upon my return to CA as I will have to fly back out here (Fla) again in probably a month to two...

No further spine surgeries since 1992 and glad of it for now.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Maria,

I'm glad to hear that your maintaining such functionality. It's great that your father's situation is back on the upswing. These are such tough ordeals.

Give me a call when you get back to so Cal. I think it's Margarita time.

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 AM

So Maria, I am wondering, is maybe all that exercise that is being thrust on you maybe helping you backpain?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Default all the activity

Fuzzy,
Right before my father took the turn for the better I thought I was really emotionallly so terrifically drained tho my back held in there just beautifully (my feet were killing me w/tendonitis tho back good). Now that my father is on the upswing my back is on the downswing and I'm feeling like I have to be mighty careful so I can actually leave here this coming Weds.

It's been a long time since I've gone 23 days in a row being anywhere for hours in a day let alone doing anything (other than walking my dog). Guess that was a good warm up for these unforseen circumstances.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Interesting observation!

Both Maria and another friend, as well as some other posts I've read over the years - Their backs seem to hurt much less when their minds are elsewhere.

The questions is - is their pain truly lessened by nothing more than power of thought (brain power) or perhaps an increase in adrenaline or because they have no time or patience to deal with the pain, it has it been pushed so far back in thought processes that though the pain is still present, no attention is paid to it and thus, it does not hurt?

The mind is all powerful and I'm going with brain power. Too bad we can't turn this on at will.

Maria, have you noticed that whenever you have to visit Florida due to your father's health, your back behaves itself!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Default no ...

Actually what happened is in the beginning of my visit to Dad's I was cleaning alot and my back needed bedrest. There are activities that really whip it into a high frenzy.

I've actually noticed that I have less pain in general. It didn't really have to do with being somewhere or the mind being overtaken because even in the beginning like the first night at the ER my back hurt plenty the 5 hours I was there. Also during the stay in the hospital the nurses brought me a slide out chair so I could sort of lie by my father's bed. I didn't use it that much but it was great when I needed a rest or to be off my feet.

My back is just better because of the L5S1 autofusion is my observation. Not perfect by any means because L4 is still bulging tho it just seems that there has been some stabilization of that lower segment that has helped me out quite a bit. I don't mean I can do without the pain meds or the gabapentin altho I do mean that these drugs hold me at bay very well re pain control most of the time.

It used to be that it didn't matter if my mind was occupied with whatever the pain still broke thru and it was a pain that is very distinct that has really sort of eased off. Again~ it can be brought on with various activities yet it's just not always present now and sitting is easier too tho not not for long periods.

Last edited by Maria; 02-02-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

margaritas?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org