Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Took a good fall on my bike today. in the Main forums forums; I'd like to say a bad fall, but I think a bad fall is when you shatter your elbow... ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Took a good fall on my bike today.

I'd like to say a bad fall, but I think a bad fall is when you shatter your elbow... not just scrape it up a bit.

It's funny because I've moved into some commercial office space that's a 3-minute car ride a 10 minute bike ride from my house. I've been talking about biking to work for a long time and it's finally a reality... today was the first day that I didn't have a bunch of stuff to bring or appointments that I'd need my car for. Thankfully, I left my laptop at the office or it would have been in the basket on the bike.

Apparently, I picked up some glass that punctured the tire and tube. I stopped at an ATM and when I got back on the bike... a couple of pedals across the parking lot and a little turn found me on my face on the concrete. I don't think there is a serious injury... just a few scrapes and a brand-new pair of jeans ruined. For the first few hours, I felt fine. I'm getting pretty stiff and sore, but I'm not expecting it to be too bad.

OK, so the NSR forum is officially open. The whining starts here!

Mark
Old 09-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Red face Ouch!

Well let my first post be to thank you for being my bike riding sacrifice. I am glad to say that for all the miles I have put in post ADR I am fall free. If I think it's a possibility I get off and walk. But when it happens it happens so quickly. Hope you are ok in a few days and I am not back too soon to report my first fall.

Paulette
Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Still riding my bike 2-3 days a week. It's all the way dark and I get to try it in the dark for the first time. I'll stop at a bike shop on the way and see about lights, reflectors, etc....

We have bike paths all over, but I'm discovering that being bike friendly most of the time does not make it save. It's like taking begining skiers on a trail that is inside their range for 90% of the run. There is just this one wall with VW bug sized moguls on a really steep face. Places where there are two lanes getting on the freeway going 50mph and no bike lane. Then on the other side, there is an off-ramp with no stop sign merging into 3 traffic lanes, all going 50mph and you are in the middle of them. This is not communing with nature on my way to work!

Actually, I've discovered a trail through a greenbelt that is 80% of my ride. If I don't venture into places that I don't belong, I'll be safe. I am enjoying the riding. However, I've lost that 'I'm invincible' feeling. If I can just transition into the I'm going to ride like I'm not invincible... then I'll be OK.

Take care all....

Mark
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Default It's a dangerous sport!

When my kid took up competitive cycling I smugly believed it was much safer than hockey or football. HA!

At least those guys don't have to contend with road rage and SUV's.

But the main thing is, Mark - just watch out for headers. They are really hard on the c-spine!!!!

I'm pretty sure the four I have taken over the last 15 years are the reason my neck is a mess now.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 PM

And here I've been wishing I could ride a bike at all. I guess I should be careful what I wish for!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to rpj541
Default Took a good fall on my bike today.

Someone want to give him some cheese to go with that wine....

Ray
Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Hey Ray... I get enough abuse from Doreen and Paulette! Nice to see you here... I hope you are well.

Take care,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org