Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss The smell of Munich in the Fall! in the Main forums forums; Well off to Munich! I am pretty new to the forumn, although I have been reading and researching for awhile. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Default The smell of Munich in the Fall!

Well off to Munich!

I am pretty new to the forumn, although I have been reading and researching for awhile. My wife and I are currently setting up a surgery date with Dr. Zeegers at Alphaklinik (most likely in October). A lot of it will have to do with the timing of getting out of some investments to finance the operation. We will be looking into currency hedges/options to try to fix the cost. I have some ideas that I want to run past our advisor. If anything interesting comes of it, I will post it here.

My story is not unique. L4-S1 are trashed from unhealthy activity....mainly powerlifting and firefighting throughout my teens/twenties/early thirties. L4 badly herniated last year (Micro-D August 07) and is Asymetrically collapsed to one side. Discogram showed L5-S1 is a significant pain generator. L4-L5 holds no pressure..so hard to say, but modic changes there speaks that things have been going downhill for quite some time. Minor facet changes at l4-5.

I am suprisingly functional (at least from the outside), but the chronic pain and the loss of function (sitting for any period, riding a bike, bending over, earning a living) has worn both of us out. We have worked hard and have been blessed with the resources to be able to work with someone like Dr. Zeegers. If you are going to undertake something of this magnitude, then as much as possible, you find the best guy you can. Regardless of the outcome (have read about the good/bad/ugly outcomes regardless of surgeon), I will not second guess his expertise, and that will allow me to sleep better.

I have been able to stay in good shape, and am working with a sports physiologist that specializes in athletes with back issues to prepare myself for the surgery. It is a blessing to live in the Denver area. Between Boulder and Colorado Springs (Olympic Training Center), you have access to some of the top minds in the world. The look on her face when I told her what we were working towards would have been worth capturing. She has taken a keen interest in the process and has done quite a bit of research on the procedure/zeegers/activ l/etc. She is excited about the prospect of seeing this through.

I have a few theories on the cascading effects of back dysfunction, and believe that the chances of a positive outcome are not going to improve with time. I have done and will continue to do all I can do from a knowledge and physical preparation stand point.

Mark has been a incredible resource of information. I have read posts of his going back prior to his own surgery. I am thankful that his personal situation gave him the passion that led him to pursue his current profession. This forumn and the information found here is nothing short of a blessing. I hired GPN to create a profile for me, and would recommend Mark's services to anyone considering spinal procedures. Who says there's no place for Spine Consultants

Our first child is due next week (how's that for timing) We are excited, and equally (well maybe not quite that much) excited to have made the choice to move forward.

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 07-12-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:27 PM

Default best wishes and congratulations!

Your decision sounds quite well thought out so I wish you all the best with the upcoming surgery. It is quite wonderful to make the choice to move forward. I'm rather captured in the netherworld for now. I know what I want to do yet it's not the time yet for various reasons. I will try to preserve what I have and hope when I'm ready to have surgery I will still be able to get away with less than a massive multi level fusion.

Congratulations on the near upcoming birth of your first child! Now that's truly exciting!

Please keep us posted on your journey if you are so inclined and again, best wishes with that!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Wishing you all the best in your upcoming surgery! You certainly have done your homework and your training/trainer sounds truly excellent. Please do keep us posted and report on autumn in Munich!

And congratulations on the upcoming birth! How exciting!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM

Best of luck to you! You certainly have considered your options. - Allan
Old 07-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Fire,

Wow will your life be interesting this coming year and that's putting it mildly!
A positive attitude can greatly enhance the recovery process and you have every reason to recover rapidly though a word of premature caution... take it slow.

Also great news on your physio. That will be a big help.

So is it a boy or girl or don't you know yet?

You have my best wishes and please let us know when the baby's born.

Dale
Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Geoff-

Best of luck to you!! I don't know why but I have a really great feeling about this for you.

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM

I feel you are on the right path and I wish you the best with you planned surgery and can attest that your chosen surgeon is one of the best. I had a very similar situation in my lumbar back and Zeegers fixed me up and now 8 month out I am so, soo much better then in years that it will be a delight to see him again when I am ready for needed cervical surgery. If you time it right I might even meet you there in Munich ;-).
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 AM

Default Date is Set

Surgery will be on the 10th of October. Feeling somewhere between excited and scared. I will be starting a surgery blog at about a week out. Mark has been an amazing resource. Maybe I shouldn't be pimping his service, but the money I spent on my profile and his consulting time was the best deal I have found so far on this journey.

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea
Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Great news on the surgery. Don't be surprised if your feelings sway from side to side dramatically...perfectly normal. I know this time is scary but come Oct 11th, the next chapter of your life begins so concentrate on that date instead of the 10th. Leave that to Dr. Z.

Don't worry about pimping for Mark. Many of us feel the same way, in fact I wrote that utilizing his services was the best investment in my back. I feel so bad that he's going through this whole thing again.

My thoughts will be with you and wishing for an uncomplicated surgery followed by a great recovery.

Dale
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM

kudos to Mark as well. I will be in Munich first week of December. So i will miss you. I wish you the best and don't worry it will be good.. My Zeegers job is perfect. I myself am trying NOT to have another surgery but I feel the guys there are MOST qualified to judge my situation in person.

Oh btw, tell Zeegers "Hi" from the guy with the long beard! I hope re remembers ;-)

Last edited by fuzzy; 09-08-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Geoff... are you getting the AK rate at a hotel? Munich during Oktoberfest can be a problem.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 AM

Default Munich Hotels

Ms Weinberger from Alpha sent the below quotes this morning (9/8/08)

Holiday Inn*** (Effnerstr. 99): 1 double room at a price of 120 Euro/night including breakfast

Arabella Sheraton Bogenhausen**** (Arabellastr. 5): 1 double room at a price of 150-170 Euro/night including breakfast

Sheraton Grandhotel***** (Arabellastr. 6): 1 double room at a price of 180 Euro/night (+23 Euro breakfast)

I really appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes from the ISPINE crew. Fuzzy..I will pass on your message...somehow, I think Dr. Zeegers will remember you.

Geoff

Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Geoff, At the AK, they have a couple of rooms with murphy beds... I think they charge extra, but your wife can stay with you and save some $$$ for the nights you are in the hospital.

The Holiday Inn is adequate and is close enough to the clinic... breakfast is great there. Sheraton is a little closer (not enough to matter much) and is right on top of a very nice square with shops, restaurants, ect.... also on top of subway.

I don't know about internet at HI, but sheraton costs 18 Euro/day for internet. You'll get free wireless at the AK.

Grand is nice, but not enough to justify extra $$ IMHO

Here is a post with photo that includes Zeegers and fuzzy..
I had surgery StALIF L5/S1 Activ-L L4/L5 Zeegers, Alphaklinik

I'm sorry that I'll miss you by a few days...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM

I saw this thread and I went out and bought a six of Hefe-Weisen wheat beer. I have good memories of Munich and AK even though the surgical outcome wasn't so good. I really liked the Holiday Inn and its staff, it's nothing like HI here in the States. I still salivate when I think about the breakfast buffet.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy