Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss The smell of Munich in the Fall! in the Main forums forums; Well off to Munich! I am pretty new to the forumn, although I have been reading and researching for awhile. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Default The smell of Munich in the Fall!

Well off to Munich!

I am pretty new to the forumn, although I have been reading and researching for awhile. My wife and I are currently setting up a surgery date with Dr. Zeegers at Alphaklinik (most likely in October). A lot of it will have to do with the timing of getting out of some investments to finance the operation. We will be looking into currency hedges/options to try to fix the cost. I have some ideas that I want to run past our advisor. If anything interesting comes of it, I will post it here.

My story is not unique. L4-S1 are trashed from unhealthy activity....mainly powerlifting and firefighting throughout my teens/twenties/early thirties. L4 badly herniated last year (Micro-D August 07) and is Asymetrically collapsed to one side. Discogram showed L5-S1 is a significant pain generator. L4-L5 holds no pressure..so hard to say, but modic changes there speaks that things have been going downhill for quite some time. Minor facet changes at l4-5.

I am suprisingly functional (at least from the outside), but the chronic pain and the loss of function (sitting for any period, riding a bike, bending over, earning a living) has worn both of us out. We have worked hard and have been blessed with the resources to be able to work with someone like Dr. Zeegers. If you are going to undertake something of this magnitude, then as much as possible, you find the best guy you can. Regardless of the outcome (have read about the good/bad/ugly outcomes regardless of surgeon), I will not second guess his expertise, and that will allow me to sleep better.

I have been able to stay in good shape, and am working with a sports physiologist that specializes in athletes with back issues to prepare myself for the surgery. It is a blessing to live in the Denver area. Between Boulder and Colorado Springs (Olympic Training Center), you have access to some of the top minds in the world. The look on her face when I told her what we were working towards would have been worth capturing. She has taken a keen interest in the process and has done quite a bit of research on the procedure/zeegers/activ l/etc. She is excited about the prospect of seeing this through.

I have a few theories on the cascading effects of back dysfunction, and believe that the chances of a positive outcome are not going to improve with time. I have done and will continue to do all I can do from a knowledge and physical preparation stand point.

Mark has been a incredible resource of information. I have read posts of his going back prior to his own surgery. I am thankful that his personal situation gave him the passion that led him to pursue his current profession. This forumn and the information found here is nothing short of a blessing. I hired GPN to create a profile for me, and would recommend Mark's services to anyone considering spinal procedures. Who says there's no place for Spine Consultants

Our first child is due next week (how's that for timing) We are excited, and equally (well maybe not quite that much) excited to have made the choice to move forward.

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 07-12-2008 at 10:03 PM.