Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Positive Hoffman's sign on exam for neck pain in the Main forums forums; Saw a new OSS today in same OSS's office (this one accepts my BCBS) and I don't think ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Positive Hoffman's sign on exam for neck pain

Saw a new OSS today in same OSS's office (this one accepts my BCBS) and I don't think my xrays were all that impressive but on exam I had positive Hoffman's sign so an MRI was ordered for tomorrow if my insurance will authorize to r/o cord compression. Supposedly my subjective report of dropping things all the time seemed to impress this doctor altho he was without a doubt one of the most rapid fire 2 minute appt docs I've seen. He apologized for being over an hour late but was held up in surgery and of course that is a very understandable reason and he was backed up altho he is young and has not yet learned the fine art of making a very abbreviated visit seem like it's not.

Fortunately I didn't care as I wanted to leave. Tomorrow even if I don't get the MRI authorized I have to return to the same office to see someone else for the posterior tibeal tendonitis I have bilaterally that my regular OSS thought needed a 2nd opinion (had seen a podiatrist for this and gotten inserts for shoes).
Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 AM

M: Sorry to hear this. I hope your MRI is scheduled soon.

Huh?

Posterior Tibial Tendon Problems | eOrthopod.com

Chow ~ ans

Last edited by ans; 11-27-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 AM

One thing for sure, BCBS better approve that MRI. I actually believe its not a matter of if but how long they drag their feet. I despise this healthsystem. I wish you the best for your problems and hope the uncertainty gets solved. My wife has had the tibial tendon thing with several surgerys to her foot. If you need to chat with someone about that let me know and I hook you up with her.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Any news on the MRI? CNS involvement changes things.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Mri

Mark,
MRI done on Weds and getting results on Monday w/doc. Neck is behaving itself for now (that means the last two days or so). However I'm not active at all due to my disgusting posterior tibial tendon on left foot.. talk about something else that can slow a person down terrifically!!!!!! OHHHHH MANNNNNNN

Ok Fuzzy, bring it on~ I definately would like to talk w/your wife re this as I'm trying to avoid the surgery. The doctor told me I need to follow a conservative pattern for 6-8 weeks being nearly off my feet and see what happens as he said the surgery is BIG DEAL and I'd be casted for 6-8 weeks at least (which I cannot tolerate due to my low back probs) and then the rehab is long. Also I actually have bilateral posterior tibeal tendonitis and sometimes it's the left foot that kills, sometimes the right and sometimes both! Yesterday it was my left foot. Today it was the right ankle started to hurt and with a very rapid onset of pain that is disabling.

I just got an ESI not too long ago and I'm wasting it here being so immobile except for dog walks which I'm going to have to give up (hand over dog to hub who lives in different city) and I'm off to Florida for 2 months as I was going to try and be helpful to my 87 y.o. father. Now I think I'll look for an Assisted Living Facility for myself NOT

ans~ thanks for link. My doctor wasn't going to prescribe PT because I'm leaving so soon....I hope staying off my feet will work re relief but I'm just so ticked off re timing of this thing. Like my low back isn't enough to deal w/and neck.

Last edited by Maria; 11-29-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM

Default recent cervical mri

results were as I expected pretty much or actually better. Have some minimal bulging at C2/3, 3/4 and a 2mm central disc bulge at C5/6 which is what I thought was bothering me.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Maria,
Are you in Florida yet? Are you able to take care of your Dad and at same time take care of yourself pain-wise?

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 AM

I guess it's good to have validation of your symptoms but I'm sorry you are having such extensive spine problems. Was any conservative treatment (e.g., PT) suggested?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Default mi cuerpo

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Maria,

I understand the severity of your pain when you have an 'episode' but have you ever tried lidacaine patches?

After going off of Lyrica, I needed something for my own episodes and though I have some serious stuff, during the day, I prefer the patches. I was surprised how well it worked and everyone I've told about it, for whatever their needs, it seems to do the trick.

Just a thought... have a safe and hopefully pain free trip. Happy holidays to you, Dale
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Default re lidocaine patches

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:04 PM.