Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Dynesys removal in the Main forums forums; I'm a week out from dynesys removal so it is time to update the signature. Six weeks into the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Dynesys removal

I'm a week out from dynesys removal so it is time to update the signature. Six weeks into the dynesys, I started developing bilateral nerve pain down the back of both legs that came on after walking short distances and came on with a vengeance like no other leg pain before. Other than having an MRI 3 months after initial surgery that didn't show anything suspicious to correlate the symptoms, my surgeon was not overly helpful in finding the root cause of what was going on. He said my nerves were irritated because I've had IDET and dynesys. Not a diagnosis that you can really work from. The good news is that my bilateral leg pain has improved with the dynesys removal so the “proof is in the pudding” as they say.

John
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal
Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Were the screws in the foraminal space? What's the explanation? Broken system?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 PM

I had an MRI and x rays reviewed by 2 other surgeons (one very well known with authored research) who said screw placement looked great and they even pointed out to me why it was where it was supposed to be (if that makes sense) I did not get a CT scan of the placement which would have been best but that is what I had to work with. The surgeon who put it in was the one who took it out. My surgeon said the screws had not loosened and nothing was broken. Before I had it taken out, I could sit in a good office chair and my pain would dissapear. I could also mash my thumbs up against my back where spacers were and I could feel my leg pain lesson. Its like the spacers had to be against something to straighten out and decompress things. I've read that some industry folks believe that the spacers don't resist well against axial loading once they softened. I'd have left it in but the leg pain I would get after walking a very short distance was multiples worse of what I had pre op. The difference between no leg pain and pain after aggravation was the opposite extremes where before it was pretty steady on the right side hamstring above the knee. It was awful when bad, occured when walking short distances, and was just too life limiting.

One thing I forgot to add. I found some info in of the many research articles that I reviewed (it was a case review) that surgeons sometimes do preventive foraminotomies when lordosis is restored via pedicle screw anchored constructs when disc height is short and facets are enlarged. Who knows. There was a cause and effect reason and it would have been helpful to have a scan while axially loaded but I was just put out with all of it.

In summary, no explanation given.

John
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 11-20-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Default re leg pain

John,
Glad your pain was relieved w/removal. How's the back?
After my 2nd discectomy I ended up with not only greatly increased low back pain but even worse with glute pain bilat, leg pain bilat that was deep burning in nature and debilitating with movement, standing, sitting, anything really even lying down. It was in the front of my legs, back, laterally in calves.. everywhere. No real reason except scar tissue blamed at S1 nerve root.

After nearly 5 years much of this was relieved but enough remained to start Neurontin and fortunately this has blotted out the pain except for on occasion.

I can definately agree w/you re little or no leg pain is awesome and esp. compared to what I felt for so long. Glad you had a short lived time with nerve related leg pain.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM

Yes Maria, I am familiar with your case and I was worried that it was the decompression that I had when the dynesys was put in that could have been causing the problems but it appears that wasn't the case. I took a leap of faith since my surgeon offered no guidance. I've done more research on the dynesys than you can imagine and talked to so many other dynesys folks around the world with problems that don't show up on any test.

Back pain has been pretty tough and I'll know as time goes by how much is surgical. The back pain is trending better but I'll tell, it has been rough. I've had some really sharp pains that then cause my back to flex up. I'll soon be unde the care of someone else but don't plan on any surgeries anytime soon unless something happens. My mom is elderly and needs my help. These back problems don't occur in vacuums.

I'm off the Lyrica completely.

John
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Default re elderly parents

John,
I know what you mean re not planning any surgeries soon. Back when the 2 level ADR was authorized re a trial ('03?) I could have had it done and Dad was fine, I think my Mother hadn't passed away yet.

Now Dad is 87 living alone in Florida and barely getting around. His general health is good but he's quite fragile after his car accident this past Feb and consequent decline in his mobility/outtings. He's dependent on friends that take him to the store, meals on wheels and some other elderly folk in his building that bring by meals.

I'm going to visit him for 2 months shortly but I will fly lying down across 3 coach seats on a nonstop flight. I've found I cannot deal with even the one stop flights well. Exhausting with all that being early to the airport, luggage, super shuttle early and so forth.. I'm dead beat by the time I think about it all!

My ESIs are just really so I can be there and try to be helpful to him. Recently I've developed a case of bilateral posterior tibeal tendonitis and I hope I've not ruptured the left side. Will be seen tomorrow with an OSS specializing in this area and hope that the Podiatrist's diagnosis was correct and I am just going to be a slow go to heal vs. requiring any more foot surgery (other stuff).

Sounds like you've no need for the Lyrica now and that's GREAT! Hope the low back pain will resolve fairly well on it's own and allow you to be able to tend your Mom Ok.