Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Functional Restoration Program in the Main forums forums; I decided to go for the Functional Restoration Program instead of spine surgery for now. I'll be evaluated weekly ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to racergaldar
Default Functional Restoration Program

I decided to go for the Functional Restoration Program instead of spine surgery for now. I'll be evaluated weekly and if its not successful, then as a last resort I'll have surgery. I finally got the QME approval for a discogram and the IA said they wouldn't appeal it, so if I need it, its there.

So my question is what type of success or failure has anyone had who did this program? and what were/are your diagnosis? What sort of success should I expect or not expect?

Also, I'm a jocket (race skis and motorcycles) and play about just any sport (especially golf). If I do end up getting surgery and am a candidate for ADR, I will have the ADR. If not, I'm screwed because I won't do fusion. I want to be able to play sports again and I'm wondering if the FRP will be worth the time (8 weeks, 6 hours per day, 5 days a week). Its been 10 months since my injury, already had 3 epidural bilateral injections with minimal help. Also exhausted all PT. Not a candidate for laminectomy or any of the other "ectomy" so its either this program or surgery.

I have L5 chronic radiculapathy, MRI shows:
L3-4: disc is midly narrowed and desiccated with 2mm of circumferential disc bulging and mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.

L4-L5: Dis is desiccated and moderately narrowed. 3 mm of circumferential disc bulding and a right paracentral 4-5mm disc protrusion which mildy effaces the ventral subarachnoid space. Borderline central canal stenosis is present with AP dimension in the midline of 9mm. Both lateral recesses and neural foramina are moderatly narrowed, greater on the right side. Minimal facet arthropathy is present.

L5-S1: The dis is desiccated but normal in height. Moderate left facet arthropathy is associated with asymmetric anterolistheses on the left side of 2mm. The left neural formen is moderately narrowed.