Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New Here in the Main forums forums; Hi all. I am new here. I used to post on another spinal forum but the administrator was somewhat challenged ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Default New Here

Hi all. I am new here. I used to post on another spinal forum but the administrator was somewhat challenged and I left. I would like to think that I added a little in to the support of other patients as I had well over 1,000 posts before I left.

I went to Stenum Hospital in October 2006 and had 4 level ADR surgery on November 4, 2006 which was successful. I had two Maverick Discs placed in my lumbar spine and two Prestige Discs placed in my cervical spine.

That's the long and short of it. I do recognize some of the names here that used to post on the other site so I hope to add my support and get some help if needed.

Terry Newton
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks Terry and welcome.

Sorry you found the other forum a little difficult but we appreciate any post you have to offer. I'm very glad to hear you had a positive outcome from your Stenum surgeries and hope all your spinal problems are 'cured'.

Happy New Year, Dale
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Terry, welcome to the forum.

Your case is somewhat unusual.... did you have both cervical and lumbar surgeries in the same day?

I know a few people who've had it done this way... only at Stenum. Other surgeons I know will do them a week or two apart if the patient is doing well, and some will insist that you recover physically from the first surgery before doing the second. (I mean a couple of months apart.)

I'm curious what they told you about added risks of 2 surgeries in one day?

Thank you for joining us here... I look forward to your input.

All the best,

Mark

PS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
so I hope to add my support and get some help if needed.
I hope that your relationship with iSpine is VERY one sided. May you only contribute and NEVER need any help. Here's to hoping that you will always be an EX-spine patient.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-03-2009, 05:23 AM

I was in incredibly good condition going in to this surgery. Even though I was seriously impaired, from a dog/bicycle accident, I was very fit pre-surgical. I rode over 1,800 miles the season of the surgery, I was 163 lbs and 10% body fat at the time of the surgery, and, every physician that I knew, personally stated that it was an aggressive surgery, but knew me and that I could handle it. I also walked an incredible distance that year and worked full-time until I was operated on. I insisted on having the surgeries done at the same time. I did not have it in me to get back on a plane and go back to Germany for a second operation, I was off of work for such a short period of time, as I am an executive, that I had it planned to the T for my surgery and recovery, and, being a manager (control freak), I knew what I was in for.

I am definitely not the poster boy for someone to follow for the surgery or recovery. I had the surgery on November 4th, resumed full driving on November 18th after flying home on the 17th, drove 10.5 hours one way to Minnesota for Christmas, drove my Mother-In-Law all over creation the entire vacation, returned home 10.5 hours two weeks later, returned to work full-time at exactly two months to the date of the surgery, returned to Spinning as soon as I returned home and active snowshoeing, returned to bicycling in April and rode 2,500 miles the first season while healing from the surgery, rode over 2,100 miles this past season, etc. and have never looked back. My surgery was covered by the homeowners insurance, from a lawsuit, and I settled with BC/BS Medical for the full cost of the surgery, after they denied it 2 times, so I made money on the surgery.

Stenum was good to me both during the pre and post surgical care. I have heard many of the stories about Stenum but felt that I got great care from them. I also went around Germany as much as possible while we were over there. I was somewhat fatigued from having such an aggressive surgery but participated in many activities and treated it like a second honeymoon.

I also hope that I am not needing any more assistance as I have had my fair share of issues over the years with my spine.

Thanks for the welcome.

Terry Newton

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 01-03-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Hey Terry. Welcome and thank you for being my personal counselor.

Best - Allan
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Post Welcome Terry

Hi Terry

Welcome to this site.
you have help me in the past.as MANGO.

Thanks Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1