Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dynesys Removal Anyone?? in the Main forums forums; Hi im a newbie, and have a question I had the Dynesys system put in in September of 2007 on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 AM

Question Dynesys Removal Anyone??

Hi im a newbie, and have a question

I had the Dynesys system put in in September of 2007 on levels L3-S1 for 3 herniated disks... Well my back pain is somewhat better and on the MRI it appears that everything is in tact, but I am having increased radiating pain in both of my legs and feet. On the MRI that was taken over the summer it showed improvement on the L3-4 and L4-5 disks but the L5-S1 was still herniated. I have been having a LOT of trouble with numbness in my feet too...

So after much fighting with the WC ins company I got the approval to have the Dynesys removed, but they only approved it as an outpatient, that doesnt seem really kosher to me.. Having it put in I couldnt even walk until like 30 hours post op. I know removal is often times easier then putting it in, but outpatient?

I am seeing the surgeon on Friday to get his input and ive postponed scheduling it till then. I am wondering if anyone here has had the dynesys system put in and taken out and what they have experienced with it? Was it easier or worse getting it out and how long of a recovery was it for getting it out?

Thanks for your input,,, I appreciate it!

Star
Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Hi ILMS,

Though I can't respond to your question, just wanted to welcome. I'm sorry you're experiencing leg pain and numbness and hopefully the removal will help, but what about you're still bad level, S1/L5? What are your doctors saying about that? Will you need further surgery or ????

Whatever you end up with, I wish you good luck,
Dale
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Star, I don't understand the motivation for doing the surgery as outpatient. It may be easier to take than the installation, but pushing you out the door if you are not ready is BS.

Unless the hardware is thought to be causing your pain, what is the purpose of removing it? Is it so they can then do something else that may relieve your symptoms?

Sorry you are needing revision... good luck... welcome to the forum...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the welcome messages....

They are not actually sure what it is that is causing my pain, it could be the device or it could be the L5-S1 disk, the doctor actually said "I don't know" when I asked him. He doesn't want to fuse my back as he says I am too young to do a 3 level fusion on me, but he did say that this is the next step for me. I see him Friday to talk about it, then I guess I am going to schedule the surgery for early February.

He said that when they remove it, maybe the leg pain will go away, but he is not sure. He said next step if this doesnt work is the wonderful and fun discogram once again... Ive had two already, talk about fun lol... But all in all I hope this does the trick!

I have found one other person that had a 2 level done and removed and he said it wasnt so great... Which is scary to me. I have to do a deposition soon so I am going to ask the attorney about the outpatient thing, it doesnt seem right at all to me seeing as putting it in I didnt walk at least until 30 hours after the surgery, let along go to the bathroom on my own and all that other fun stuff. I had to play hell to get them to approve the surgery in the first place, that took about a year and then it took about 6 months asking for it to be removed so the Dr's office is sick of the WC insurance company (I am too) but if the Dr thinks I need more time in the hospital I am just going to fight this and get it approved for that and fight some more, whats another 6 months anyhow, right? ugh... i dont like workmans comp

Star
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Hi and welcome.

I'd guess your disc maybe giving you chemical radiculopathy.

I too am suffering from leg pains (L5-s1 dermatone) in both legs and numbness in both feet that comes and goes after a L5-s1 microdisectomy. Initially i had a large herniated disc pushing on the s1 nerve root, causing right leg pain. 5 weeks after the op, all I had was post op pain. I had a very small stumble at work and its was downhill from there. Pins and needles going down both legs, sharp sciatic pain above the right buttock. numbness reappeared but not just in the right foot but also slightly in the left. coldness in the feet and I couldn't stand for long nor sit. It has gotten better now about 6 months post op. Still can't sit for long and activity flairs it up. Initially I had NO back pain just the leg pain. Its now starting to reverse.

Naturally I have no idea, but i'm not suprised you are getting similar symptoms as I am with a possible crapped out disc at l5-s1.

I would have thought that it would make sense to do a discogram before getting your hardware removed? or does having hardware preclude you from having a discogram?. That way you'll know if l5-s1 is definitely the pain generator.

If it is. The hard question would be, can the disc at l5-s1 be removed and fused? how? could they do it? risks involved, would it affect the exisitng hardware, does it mean the hardware has to come out anyway? could they do it with the dynesys hardware still there? Is the pain getting worse over time to warrant another operation.

it may seem like an easy thing to do i.e. take out your hardware and in the doctors words "I hope it makes you feel better" but doing another op which has the potential to make you worse off, plus the fact that the doctor has admitted he isn't sure what is causing your pain, would just make me hesitate if I was in your shoes.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 AM

Default dynesys removal

After having mine removed, my leg pain improved a great deal. I'v talked to quite a few people that got worse leg pain after dynesys implantation. There are much better stabalization devices in the works. There are reasons why it IS NOT APPROVED by the FDA.

John
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 01-08-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Have they looked at your c-spine?

What did the myelogram show?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM

I actually didnt have a myliogram, I had a discogram done twice before the first surgery. The last thing was an MRI which showed L4-5 & L3-4 as healing and L5-S1 as still bulging. It makes sense that it is that L5-S1 that is hurting as the same places it controls on my feet are what is hurting there too.

I am in a considerable amount of pain every day and the next step is to remove the dynesys and hope that it makes it better. If it doesnt, then I can look at other surgical options, all I know is that this is not working...

I set the date for surgery for Feb 3. I am a little nervous, but I am sure I will be ok... I just need to take it one step at a time...

thanks for the support,,, it helps being able to talk to others when going through stuff,,, makes one feel less alone!

Star