Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Another Newbie - My Story in the Main forums forums; Hello, I guess you could say I'm a new kid on the block who was told about this forum ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Post Another Newbie - My Story

Hello,

I guess you could say I'm a new kid on the block who was told about this forum from a fellow "spiney". I noticed that some of my "friends" from another forum are posting here as well & it's nice to know that we are all together again to help support one another.

I was injured when I fell on ice in 2001 & was involved in an MVA in 2002. I injured both my back & neck in both accidents. I've gone through numerous rounds of physical therapy, an IDET procedure which failed after 5 months, SI joint injection, facet block, pain meds including Lyrica but nothing has seemed to help me. Well the Lyrica helped me to sleep at night & helped with some of the pins & needles shooting down my leg but it does nothing for my pain.

I tried to get approved for ADR at L5/S1 through my insurance back in 2005. I lost all of my appeals. I switched insurance in 2008 & hoped to re-start the fight again but couldn't get the support of my OS's staff. The secretary's problem was that she "knew" I wouldn't get approval even though she never submitted anything to the insurance company. So, even though I LOVED my OS, I wasn't able to get the support I needed so I went elsewhere.

Even though I hated the thought of going to NYC, that is what I did. I sought out Dr. Bitan & after many tests & having to prove to him that I wasn't some nut job, he agreed, I need surgery.

So we set a surgery date & the insurance saga began again. I tried to get approved for the ADR & was denied by my husband's insurance company. So, long story short, I was able to get his insurance to approve fusion for L5/S1.

My surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday, January 20th. As I get closer to the big day, I get more freaked out. It almost seems like a dream to me. I can't believe that I'm actually moving forward with this.

If anyone can give me some advice on what I can expect with the fusion, I would really appreciate it.

So, if you haven't fallen asleep yet, that's my story.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Hi Nairek and welcome,

I'm sorry for your pain and I hate insurance companies. I mean I really hate them. Regardless, if you've come to terms with a fusion, doing so at S1/L5 isn't terrible. You don't move much from that disc and you may not even notice any limitations.

Freaking out is a good way to describe your emotions at this time. Try concentrating on Wednesday by which time, Tuesday will already be behind you. It helps a little.

I wish you such good luck and look forward to hearing from you - from the other side.

Dale
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm told that a fusion at L5/S1 isn't so bad. I suppose if you have to have one, that's the place to have it.

I also think there are valid reasons to chose fusion over ADR so you can't really think that you are settling for second best. You never know. At least it must feel good to have it all decided and be moving forward.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and godspeed. Adrienne
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM

Nairek, Welcome to the other side. I left a post on your thread today. See below in case you didn't read it. Sandy Wade

Take all positive thoughts with you to surgery

Nairek,

I can't respond from first hand knowledge, but I've read that a lot of people go fusion with S/1 and are able to have ADR later if necessary, like CindyLou. (CL the audacity of some people, highly compensated, pay for it - you should have reported her)

I think for your own peace of mind and so you will be in the best condition for your surgery, you need to put the behind you. Be positive. I really believe that this will be best way for you.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers during your surgery and after. Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Karin:

I am so happy for you that you have a positive plan of action. I agree with all that has been said about the area being operated on. If there is a good place for a fusion, yours is it. I understand the fear but you will be fine. You have probably come to the point of where the quality of your life has suffered. When it is suffering, and not just pain, it is time to grab the bull by the horns and do what you are doing. You will be in all of our prayers and I know you will come out well on the other side.

May God be with you (and a great surgeon )

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 AM

Hi Nairek,

Fusion is not a bad way to go especially if your facets have been compromised.

I recently learned of a couple of people in pain who put off fusion surgery for years because they were afraid of what the outcome might be. Eventually they took the gamble. According to them it was the best thing they ever did. My aunt told me this a few years ago. The people were my grandparents and the surgeries were many decades ago. I'm sure the success rates are much better now.

I'm hoping the best for you.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Welcome

Nairek,
Welcome and best wishes for your upcoming fusion at L5S1. Sounds like you will be in the hands of an excellent surgeon so this much would make me feel oh so much better regarding the surgical decision of any nature at that level.

Hope to hear from you soon and take good care
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Nairek,

Good luck with your surgery on Tuesday! I'll be praying for you...keep us posted on your progress, as we do care.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 AM

Red face Thank You!

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on today due to a severe migraine which has made me quite ill. Ugh, I hate these blasted things & lately they have been making me violently ill. They usually last about 3 days so hopefully the bugger will be gone for surgery day.

Anyway, I wanted to thank all of you for your kind words & warm wishes. It really means a lot to know that there are others out there who understand what I am going through. I'll try to pop on again tomorrow after work & before bed.

I have to try & "trip" proof my house house now

Goodnight!

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Nairek,

So sorry to hear about the terrible headache. It is so normal to be a bit jumpy before a major surgery. I would be more worried about you if you weren't nervous at all. You have weighed all the options. Done your homework. And your surgery is right around the corner. You will be better than you know. Hang in there. We are all pulling for you and are here for your questions and general support when you get to the other side. God bless! Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 AM

K: Wishing you my best. I was told by Regan and others that fusion's best for my blown L5-S1. What type of method is your doctor using? If I have fusion I'll go for a posterior approach (if only one level's shot) in case posterior entry is needed later. Not to mess your mind up.

Say hi to your man too. Smart guy. My best ~ Allan
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Praying for your surgery

Just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and your upcoming surgery and speedy recovery. I pray that you will feel so good, that you will wish you would have done it sooner! God Bless, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Looks like I'm the first one for the day. Surgery is set for 7:30 am. We have to get up at 3 am to get there on time. Should be interesting.

See you on the other side.......