Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Considering Revision Surgery in the Main forums forums; Hello, I have the Prodiscs L4-S1. I am over a year out and 8 months ago I had a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Considering Revision Surgery

Hello,
I have the Prodiscs L4-S1. I am over a year out and 8 months ago I had a decompression surgery for continued leg pain. I have been in severe back pain ever since. My life is pretty much at a standstill. I am now considering a revision surgery. I can either fuse over the prodiscs from the back or try to take them out, put in bone or a cage in the front and fuse from the back. I have had several opinions and know that going back in from the front can be life threatening. The Dr. that will try to go in from the front to take out the discs will stop if he can't do it. Will that be too late? I still have my life to lose, or a leg. I am not taking this lightly but have heard that the best results for success are taking the discs out. Does anyone have any articles supporting this. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM

WOW Phylly. That is pretty drastic news and course of action. What are the doctor's saying? Do they have the slightest idea about what is continuing to cause the pain for you? This is such depressing news. I would have thought that you would be moving forwards instead of being at a standstill. The only person I am aware of was Ana who had a total revision surgery. She had Dr. Bertognoli complete the first surgery then another surgeon did the revision surgery. If you are interested in talking to her, please let me know as I can get a hold of her for you.

I am so sorry to hear this news.

What's most important is to get back your quality of life. I will continue to pray for you as well.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Hi Phylly,
Im new here and have just posted for the first time, then I read your post. My heart goes out to you so much, I am currently awaiting one of two possible revision surgeries.
I had a L4-5 fusion and prodisc L3-4 5 months ago, to cut a long story short I have had pain so much worse after surgery, and have had various nerve block injections and Facet joint injections.
My first revision surgery is to be done in April, to add more screws and a rod system to my fusion as im still hypermobile and at risk of breaking the screws. Its also just been discovered that I have facet joint problems at L3-4 at the prodisc site.
Im in the uk, and unsure of what my options will be for the prodisk at the moment, but I can fully understand how you feel, its a horrible place to be when a surgery has failed, and the answers if any seem so far away.
I have to have the first revision done as im not going to fuse in a hypermobile area and its risky to leave it long. And the facets cause so much pain, like you my life is at a standstill, and controlled more by pain now than ever.
My heart goes out so much to you, I guess that you feel terrible right now, and I send you my warmest thoughts.
I hope that we find the strength and the answers to our situations.
hugs
sarah
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 AM

Phylly & Sarah,

I'm so distressed by both of your posts. You put 99% of your hopes into positive, pain-free outcomes, only to find more pain at the end of your tunnels. Any back surgery is difficult and a scary proposition but you decide it's your best course of action, only to have the other shoe drop.

I do hope the revision surgery works for both of you and you find the relief you so desperately need. My thoughts are with you both.

Dale
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 AM

The Dr. that will try to go in from the front to take out the discs will stop if he can't do it. Will that be too late?

I would think that the surgeon would be able to tell right away if your veins were too scarred to reach the disc. Just a guess but I don't doubt that just the act of opening you up means it's too late to turn around.
Most docs that I've talked to about both anterior fusion & ADR said a vascular surgeon will be there as well. That will help.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 AM

Default thank you all

The vascular surgeon was very positive about being there and going back in to do the surgery. He will go in from the other side (right) That is part that made me feel better, he seemed so confident and has such a good reputation. He will be there for the whole surgery. Whether the prodiscs can come out is another story but the ortho spine will try. I am scared about any revision surgery but I guess this one has more risk and dying is scary.
I did put my hopes and dreams into this surgery. I wanted to ski again and not be fused. I am not sure if it is better to be alive and in pain or try to try to be better. Another lady who had the prodisc also had a bad experience and fused over the discs. She has had a fair outcome and still has pain but is better than before.
Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about your revision surgery. Let's keep in touch and support each other. I am not sure women do as well as men with these discs. It just seems there are more problems with the women? Thanks for the comments, suggestions and articles, I really appreciate this.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09