Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss What would you do? Thoughts? in the Main forums forums; Had my discogram today.The bad news is that it looks like I will need 2 level ADR instead of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 AM

Default What would you do? Thoughts?

Had my discogram today.The bad news is that it looks like I will need 2 level ADR instead of just 1. Here are the results:

C4-5 -small posterior leak-volume pressure normal-no pain
C5-6- Abnormal, degenerative, leaky -reduced pressure-moderate pain
which patient rates 7/10
C6-7 - Abnormal, degenerative, leaky -reduced pressure-sever pain which patient rated 8
out of 10
C7-T1 - Normal-pressure normal- no pain

INTERESTING thing is that my discgram in June of 2008 (with a different doctor) only showed C6/7 causing pain. Seems I am getting worse now that C5/6 is bad now also.

I guess I should try to go for the 1 level since my Aetna will most likely approve it. Then go to Germany for a 2nd surgery as soon as I recover from the 1st? My doctor says"no need to go to germany if you need a 2nd level, we can do it here". I didnt say what was on my mind which was "yea, but at twice the cost?". Even if I am willing to do 2 level ADR at the same time and just pay out of pocket for the 2nd, one member here says insurance will come back after surgery and say 2 level is not approved and use that as an excuse to deny covering the 1st level!! I dont think I like that risk.

On the other hand, once you do ADR, there's no turning back.Soooo, maybe I should go for the fibrin (sealant) procedure first? For those of you not familar with Fibrin, it is a very promising brand new procedure currently undergoing FDA trials. Many patients are reporting success. If I do try out the fibrin procedure first, I can kiss my Aetna option goodbye as my employer is changing insurance carriers to Humana as of Feb 28th. Humana is not ADR freindly. Regarding Fibrin, one patient who had it done and knows about it says that they report that it has about a 80% success rate and it lasts for at least 3 years or more. (seems ADR is also about a 80% success rate from what I have observed by perusing outocomes on boards like this) Though there are only a few posts I have read of people getting fibrin done. Hardly much to go off of. Then again, I dont want to have to have fibrin redone every 3 or 4 years if that is how it is with many patients. WHat if Im in the 20% who dont get relief? If so, Ive just blown $20K by letting my Aetna option for 1 level expire. . Fibrin is not yet FDA approved. Might there be risks, after affects? Cancer causing agents in the fibrin material? On the positive side, ADR seems a "known" and lasts 10-20 yrs?

If I go the fibrin route, and it doesnt work, Im going to have to pay $30 -$40K for 2 level in Germany. I will have to use all my savings,(sell stock, cashout 401K, etc). Ill be a broke dude for sure.

So far, Im leaning towards getting ADR 1 level (paid by insurance) and then trying fibrin sealant for the other level (guessing fibrin will cost about $4K). If that doesnt work, I can go for a 2nd ADR and pay only $20K in germany.

It isnt a big deal to do back to back cervical ADR surgeries is it?