Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss My SI Joint Fusion Surgery is covered!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Main forums forums; Zippity do da!!!!!!!!!!! My SI joint fusion surgery is covered!!!! I couldn't take the torture anymore with waiting, and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Default My SI Joint Fusion Surgery is covered!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zippity do da!!!!!!!!!!! My SI joint fusion surgery is covered!!!! I couldn't take the torture anymore with waiting, and called Dr. Stark's office late this afternoon. I was truly expecting a "no" since they said they would call me yesterday with the answer, and I hadn't heard anything. So, imagine my surprise when she said she had just gotten off the phone with HealthPartner's and it was a yes. I so needed a yes. Honestly. I have been so down in the dumps, on top of my pain levels, on top of our dear friend's inevitable demise. I just cried, I was so relieved. So, surgery is set for March 9th! Yikes! It is 1 day before the baby is due, altho, Christy is 75% effaced and dilated 1.5 centimeters. So, come on baby!!! Let's get this show on the road! Thank-you for all the prayers guys.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM

That is Great!! I was just reading your previous posts and you posted this new one with the good news. Everything will work out with the baby. Keep on being positive about everything and it will be alright.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Too often things don't turn out the way we want them. We wonder what is going on. When they do work out, you just sit back and smile or as some women prefer, we cry. Hope all turns out well.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 AM

Great news CindyLou! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. I will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing.
Bless you,
Linda
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM

I am sooooo happy for you. Now you can nest and get ready for your surgery; It is not that far off. I am glad this worked out for you.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up

Alright CindyLou,

Hurray for you. Now, you can look forward to getting rid of some of that pain. i told you insurance companies love fusion.
Honestly, you have been through so much I really hope and pray this works out well for you.

Rest up.

Runner
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Oh, yes, runner, how right you were about insurance loving fusions. Lucky me on this one. I'm now thinking I can either cancel or postpone my hip replacement surgery, and will likely call Mayo sometime later today and do that. I meet with Dr. Stark next Wednesday to go over the Cat Scan I just had done of my SI joints, and I'm sure go over surgery expectations. I'm somewhat nervous of my March 9th surgery date, with my daughter-in-law being due March 10th. But I feel like I have to get this show on the road, so I'll be closer to "healed" when I start babysitting her 3 months from now. That was a tough call. I hope the baby comes before my surgery so I can be there, but..........

Thanks everyone for all the support. I do hope and pray this fusion of my SI joints will bring me the much needed relief I so desperately crave.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Yay! That's great news. I hope the baby comes before your surgery, and that the surgery brings you complete pain relief.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

CL, YES!!!!! It's now "Baby Time" -- congratulations, as you deserve all of these great things that are finally starting to fall into place.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Fusion

So true about the fusion. The insurance companies will fuse fuse fuse but turn down minimally invasive endoscopic surgery. I am having to go after my insurance compny to try to recover the $$.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 AM

This is awesome news CindyLou. I sure hope this is the answer to all of the issues you have been going through lately. I am keeping a close eye on your outcome in case I end up where you are going.

This surgery is right around the corner.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5