Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Conflicting diagnosis & now recommending DIAM in the Main forums forums; I have had two MRIs (the latest in Nov 08), two CT scans and several X-Rays. All have said ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Conflicting diagnosis & now recommending DIAM

I have had two MRIs (the latest in Nov 08), two CT scans and several X-Rays. All have said I have mild to moderate arthritis in a few of my facet joints.

I had a diagnosis from Stenum hospital a year ago, recommending ADR in C4/5 & 5/6, as well as L4/5, L5/S1. I specifically asked about arthritis and was told there was not enough to be concerned about.

I sent my records to another overseas clinic a few weeks ago, and got their diagnosis yesterday. They said while I have two herniated cervical discs, only one requires ADR, and I also need DIAM on L3 to S1; because of extreme arthritis on the facet joints, I am not a candidate for ADR.

So a few questions for the masters at this game ;-)

-can my facet joints change that fast? (Stenum only saw the MRI from Nov 07, not 08)
-can the diagnosis vary that much?
-Is DIAM the new replacement for ADR? I have been frantically looking up all I can about it on the net, and it seems to be exactly that, according to the manufacturers. If a person is not an ADR candidate, then this is the way to go...relieves pressure on the nerves, the flava ligament, etc., and reduces or eliminates pain from the compressed nerves & discs. It looks pretty slick and so much less invasive than ADR, which I've been fighting to have for over a year. It is hard to switch directions so quickly!

What say you?
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.