Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Pregablin - question in the Main forums forums; Hi there, I wrote a while ago about my suspicion that Pregablin (Lycira) was causing my palms to burn. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Default Pregablin - question

Hi there, I wrote a while ago about my suspicion that Pregablin (Lycira) was causing my palms to burn. I reduced the doesage as per my docs instructions , and they burning subsided almost completely, but the pain was awful I had to increase it back slowly. Now I am experiencing a burning type pain in my bladder!! I dont need to spend a penny more often, I dont sense wanting to go either, just the uncomfortable/pain feeling is pretty constant and horrible,

Have had blood an urine test and full exam, showing nothing. I have no tenderness ,urgency or pain on urination, just this awful feeling. Does anyone out there know if this too could be linked to the drug?? My doc is referring me to a Urologist to thanks for listening again Marion
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Have you tried decreasing the Lyrica again to see in the burning goes away? I may be off base but getting a work up may be mute if indeed the cause is medication. It's not a side effect I'm familiar with but your palms also burned as a side effect, then stopped with a reduced dosage. That's the first thing I would do again.

It's always a good idea to get things checked out though and I hope there is nothing serious going on.

Dale
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Default pregablin

Hi thanks for your reply I am lowering the dose right now so will see how it goes

Marion
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

I sometimes have that symptom and I never take that class of med. It feels like I've slid head-first into second and scraped my palms on the clay. If you have such a strong suspicion about the Lyrica, has your doc suggested switching to Neurontin?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM

Default pregablin

Hi yes I have already tried Nueroin and I didnt like it I will stick with the burningnhads etc the pain rellief is too good !! thaks for you reply Marion
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Have you tried switching to Cymbalta?? This is what I am in the midst of doing from Lyrica.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM

I hated the Lyrica initially. I took myself off of it and then went back on reluctantly. I worked beyond the side effects and realized that the benefit far outweighed the side effects. I hated the Neurontin and the Cymbalta. The Cymbalta made me so sleepy I yawned all of the time. I also had to force myself to eat as it took away my appetite. All drugs have side effects. You have to determine if the reward is greater than the discomfort.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

I agree with Terry, on the side effects. I initally couldn't tell that Lyrica was doing anything for me. I went on and off of it several times, just because I was sick of spending tons of money on prescriptions. I then had my dose increased and that is when I felt a benefit. The Cymbalta initally took ALL of my pain away. I was in therapy at the time and think that they did something to me, because it came back with vengance. I had got down to 1 vicodin a day; but had to go back up. When I started with my new pain dr. he doubled my cymbalta and lyrica. The first day I took both together and it was like I was high on something. I couldn't talk, and passed out for 5 hours. I now take half the dose at night and half in the morning and don't seem to have any side effects (oh, I can take them at the same time now)
HTH,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 PM

Hey Maz,

I agree with Terry and Kathy (not surprisingly ). Anyway, I initially tried Lyrica and it did not agree with me--I became hypersensitive to pain. Even if my wife touched my legs or the sheets touched them it was awful (I compare it to diabetic peripheral neuropathy). Needless to say, I stopped the Lyrica and tired Topamax. Topamax works wonders for a great deal of people. However, it's referred to ask "Stupidmax" in the hospital because it really affects cognition. I had extreme trouble with easy things like word choice. I couldn't name basic things--I would just have to point at the object because I forgot the name. Well, this didn't work well with school...imagine that?!?

Now, I'm on 60 mg/QD of Cymbalta for the neuropathic indication and I think it helps. However, I started all of my "pain" meds at the same time so it's truly hard to tell if it is really working out of the pain pill cocktail I currently take. I'm sure it is working (even if I don't really notice) because it works on norepinephrine and serotonin receptors in the brain.

I would definitely give Topamax a try--not all people experience side effects on it. As always, consult your treating physician(s).
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
I agree with Terry and Kathy (not surprisingly ).

Great minds run on the same track!
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!