Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss I met the true Bionic Man.... in the Main forums forums; So what's the chances of this happening..... I am being wheeled through the airport on my way home from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 PM

Default I met the true Bionic Man....

So what's the chances of this happening..... I am being wheeled through the airport on my way home from Florida and run in to a fellow spiney. He gets in the elevator, obivously in pain, and tells us that he just had disc replacement. I asked him where and what part of his spine. He had it done in Nevada and it was in his lumbar. For the amazing part, he had 4 levels done and both hips replaced! He said it was 17 hours of reconstructive surgery! He had a tumor that had to be removed, destroying his hips and lower 4 discs. He was actually walking using a cane! I was in total awe, years ago, this poor man may never have walked again. He was doing really good for being only 3 months out, which amazed me. I have no idea how he got 4 levels in the US; but I am guessing under a compassionate use? I was able to talk to him for a little bit, the nice man pushing my chair slowed down so he and I could chat I wish I could have talked for longer with him and found out what discs he had and all my other 20+ questions. Anyway, I told him about this site and really hopes he comes and shares his incredible story with us.
Don't you just love a happy ending?
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Sure makes me feel like a wimp!
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

I can't imagine what his rehab must have been like!
I relayed this info to a friend who has had both hips replaced and just had a 3-level cervical ADR and he was blown away!