Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Stenum Hospital M6 for Multi Level spine in the Main forums forums; Does anyone have any view or experience at Stenum Hospital and the Spinal Kinetics M6? I am looking at multi ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Stenum Hospital M6 for Multi Level spine

Does anyone have any view or experience at Stenum Hospital and the Spinal Kinetics M6? I am looking at multi level surgery using the M6.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM

I can put you in touch with someone in Michigan who had the Spinal Kinetics Disc installed in their spine and they are still doing very well. I will send you this info by private messaging.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Administrator

I have seen successful M6 patients posting on the internet, but don't know any personally. I work with spine patients professionally and have had 2 clients with failed M6 configurations that required removal of the discs. Please note, that I have a SELF SELECTING negative population for some groups of clients, so my experience is not a reasonable cross-section of the population, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am not a doctor and don't have a medical background except that of a part-time spine patient from 1997 until 2000 and a full-time spine patient since then.

I gained a lot of info on the M6 when it first appeared at the Spine Arthroplasty Society's annual meeting 2 years ago in Berlin. See about my breakfast with one of Spinal Kinetics' EVP's after the conference.

SAS Berlin blog

I think that the most important aspect of M6 for multi-level consideration is that it's a mobile-core device. I like mobile core devices for single-level procedures in configurations that don't have suspect adjacent levels and don't have substantial instability. From my experience, IMHO, mobile core devices are less desirable in multi-level configurations because of the possibility for one core to get forced one direction and the next core to get forced in the opposite direction, creating a substantial spinal balance problem. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt... I'm not a doc... not an engineer. I just share my experience. I am not suggesting that they don't work in this configuration. I'm just suggesting that if there are complications, the failure-mode may be aggravated by the mobile core.

Unfortunately, I'm about to undergo a 4-level cervical (and thoracic at t1-2). I wish I was not back to getting the patient's side of this industry, but I'm going to be one of the top ADR users, with my 2 Charite's in my lumbar spine, presumably 4 ProDiscs in my upper back/neck and my wife's 2 lumbar ProDiscs! Note that with everything I said, I have a very successful multi-level, mobile core configuration in my lumbar spine. All paths come with possible success and possible failure. Do your homework... make informed decisions.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM

I have done as much research as I can about Stenum to Dr. B. and Pro Disc C to M6. I have talked to several cervical patients from both and seems everyone is doing great.
I know more about this stuff than I care to. However, with that said I was doing just a little more digging before I take a "leap of faith."
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1961 View Post
I have done as much research as I can about Stenum to Dr. B. and Pro Disc C to M6. I have talked to several cervical patients from both and seems everyone is doing great.
I know more about this stuff than I care to. However, with that said I was doing just a little more digging before I take a "leap of faith."
Good luck Bill. It sounds like you've done your homework...keep us posted.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 AM

Default I read this on Spine Health

I read this on Spine Health...

Turbodog wrote:
It's been 7 months since my ADR surgery in Germnay it's winter here Reno/Tahoe and i have been hitting the slopes hard. "I'M BACK" droping 25' cliffs on 55deg slopes I had some really good wipeouts at Christmas I did a head plant earning me 7 stitches in my lip. What I realize is that my implants are very durable " They can take a licking" I still feel great I'm ready for more. If I had been fused my head would have broken off. On another note the FDA is clueless they are broken like the rest of our government. I'm presently in the appeals proccess with my insurance to be reimbursed for my out of pocket expence of the surgery.I'll keep posting any questions please feel free to contact me.

Hello I was asked some questions.Answers:

(1) My disc are the Spinal Kinetics M6

(2) I had levels c5-c6 c6-c7 replaced (2)

(3) Regarding the fusion option they wanted to fuse c6-c7 c5-c6 and c4-c5 the reason the U.S. docs wanted to include c4-c5 aswell is becouse of the added stress of fusion. The German docs felt that c4-c5 level was not in bad enough shape to replace with a Adisc.

(4) The cost was 27,000eu included everything and hotelsI just had to pay for flights extra.If I had the fusion option here in the U.S. it was estimated around $150.000.00 GO FIGURE

Here is the link... ADR or ACDF

Im sold on this....

Is it 2 good two be True? He had a 2 level..
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 AM

Default opinions/help?

Can someone please give me more opinions about the M6 cervical disc?

Are they to good to be true? what do you guys think?

Anybody else I can talk to about them?
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
I work with spine patients professionally and have had 2 clients with failed M6 configurations that required removal of the discs.

Mark
Mark why did the disc have to come out?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Default M6 results

Regarding M6 cervical, I understand the surgeons at Stenum have done the most of these, 3 years now, great results. Check out he cervical testimonials to contact some patients.