Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dr. Bitan in NYC...anyone have information? in the Main forums forums; On the advice of another member of the forum, I sent my MRIs to several other doctors in the States, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Dr. Bitan in NYC...anyone have information?

On the advice of another member of the forum, I sent my MRIs to several other doctors in the States, including Dr. Fabien Bitan in NYC, and Dr. Bonati in Florida. Both answered me very quickly.

Dr. Bitan called me with urgent news; it corresponded with the doctors who recommeded DIAM surgery in my lumbar and ADR in my cervical area (C5/6) (see other thread). Dr. Bitan and three others all said that my cervical 5/6 needed urgent attention, that I am risking quadraplegia and other problems if I leave it much longer. Now one doctor telling me that is bad enough, and maybe questionable, but now four...three at the first hospital in Mumbai and now Dr. Bitan.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and go see him on this coming Monday. It will be about an eight hour drive, so it will probably involve staying away from home two nights, but that is a small cost compared to waiting three months for a Canadian doctor to see me, and I think he only does lumbar. I've been waiting since last July to get an appointment with a local neurosurgeon, that my neurologist was supposed to refer me to. Not only did I not get an appointment yet, I haven't even gotten a phone call to book one.

It amazes me that I can call a surgeon on a Friday in the States and see him on Monday, or any day next week really! Our system is so broken!

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on this doctor, good or bad. It seems that a lot is happening in a short time, finally.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Katie, I have heard only great things on Dr. Bitan. You can go on the Charite website and there is a link to a video of Dr. Bitan doing a Charite ADR. It is really interesting to watch... a little weird thinking that they will do it to. I hate blood and stuff; but I wanted to know what I was signing up for (not like I had much choice, ADR vs. fusion, either way, I needed major surgery).
I have never heard of the surgeon in Florida. I used Dr. Rolando Garcia in Aventura, Florida. He was the first surgeon in Florida to do an ADR. He is the co-inventor of the Active L disc (the other inventor is the head of spinal orthopedics at Yale). I really liked Dr. Garcia, he is a very intelligent, yet humble man.
You are light years ahead of where most of us were in this stage of our back issues. I am just amazed at how you are getting things done! You are doing EVERYTHING right. It's amazing what you can do, when you set your mind to it.
Oh, is Dr. Bitan looking at your c-spine? I hope you can get your surgery soon, I know that must be scary.
Praying for you,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Yes, he said he would like to do a consult in person, not just over the phone & with my MRIs. I gave him my symptoms and he was very efficient and kind at the same time. I was more concerned with my lumbar, as that is where almost all my severe pain is....there are days when my neck throbs badly, but only if I am at the computer too much or looking up too much...don't ask...swatting flies...

He said my lumbar is the least of my worries...he wouldn't even discuss it actually, spending all his time on my cervical issues. He said he could do either fusion or ADR, with fusion giving the inflamed tissue more chance to heal, in his opinion, but the ADR giving more movement.

His fees would be way out of my league, I think. Fortunately, I think I can get it paid for with our provincial medical. With tons of research, I found a past case similar to mine, where the Ontario patient could not get treatment at home within 52 months (I've been waiting almost three years), and went to see a surgeon in the States. That doctor said his cervical level was critical because of the severe compression of the spinal cord & the flava ligament.

The patient applied for funding, was denied, but went ahead with the surgery anyway. He appealed, and won the case and was reimbursed, because he faced permanent tissue damage or death because he couldn't get treatment here within a reasonable length of time. Ding, ding!

So Dr. Bitan said that he would need to see me in person to write a letter of necessity so I can get this paid for. A precedent has been set, so I am hoping for the best. If nothing else, that letter would also let me release the locked in pension funds I mentioned in another thread to get this done elsewhere, if it turns out to cost too much with him. I'm trying to cover all bases.

It feels like a golden day, somehow.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Kathy, I forgot to say thanks for the information re: Dr. Bitan. I'll go look up that site now.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I've known Dr. Bitan for years. I've written about him many times, but I think the best thread is here Dr's Bitan and Buettner-Janz in the OR... (especially little stevie.) He's a good guy and a good surgeon. I've had several clients do surgery with him.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 AM

Katie:

I am thrilled that you are going to be seen so soon. Your situation sounds like it is rapidly deteriorating to the detriment of your overall well being. I am hopeful that he will write the letter for you and get you fixed as soon as possible. It would not surprise me if he does not ask you to stay and have the surgery right away. I don't think that he will want you to risk traveling all that way home when you stand at such great risk of permanent harm. Personally, I would come prepared to stay. Just my opinion.

Good Luck.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5