Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Orthopedic Surgeons/Los Angeles in the Main forums forums; Hi, I am new to this forum and was researching doctors in the Los Angeles, Orange County areas. I am ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Orthopedic Surgeons/Los Angeles

Hi, I am new to this forum and was researching doctors in the Los Angeles, Orange County areas. I am in need of cervical fusion or discectomy. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sand52
Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi Sand52 and welcome,

The two best doctors in Los Angeles are Dr. Regan in Beverly Hills and Dr. Delamarter in Santa Monica.

Warning, their surgical skills are top notch, not their office manner. It's easy to be put off but you're not shopping for a friend, you're looking for a surgeon.

You're new here and one thing we warn about repeatedly is to educate yourself. Though both of these doctors are excellent choices, you need to understand what they're telling you and make any ultimate decision for yourself, eg; why do you need a fusion? or a discectomy? These are very different surgeries. Do you know what each surgery is? Do you have a current MRI? How many levels are involved? Are there contra-indications for an ADR? Who told you what you need? Why was this the recommendation?

Learn as much as you can before you make a final decision. It's your spine!

Ask us as many questions as you need, that's why we're here. Ask your doctors until you understand what they're telling you. And good luck,

Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 04-13-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Default surgeons in LA area

Like Dale I can recommend the two I saw as well, Dr.Delamarter and Dr.Regan.

I liked both and Mark accompanied me on both visits however I felt that Dr.Regan gave me a bit more of a personal touch, answered my questions more directly and seemed very emphathetic. BTW, he realized I was there for a 2nd opinion not that I was consulting him because I planned to have surgery with him. Mark had actually gotten me squeezed onto Dr.R's schedule some time after another patient he was going along with to see Dr.R.

Now the offices.. Delamarters was difficult to get anything actually rolling till WC intervened and did what they were supposed to do. Very red tape-ish and left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing back when I last was seen there in '06. I felt the office was well run tho kind of cold/sterile except for the radiology tech who was very friendly. I just felt sort of shuffled about there tho I realize it was a very busy office and Dr.D has a great rep as a spine surgeon.

Dr.Regan's office waiting space was with several other docs and the patients all were talking amongst the specialities there and it was such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and all the comments I heard re all docs in the setting was good. Dr.R. also has a great rep as a spine surgeon and is very busy as well.

The staff was nice as well, very kind. At the time this wonderful PM doc did the intial type of history taking and he was *da bomb*.. and easy on the eyes as well tho I cannot remember his name. If I lived closer I would have wanted to go to that office just to see him for PM!!!

I also consulted with a Neurosurgeon in La Jolla (San Diego County) who was really good and in fact made my WC case in terms of 2nd surgical opinion (again Mark attended this with me and I think he really helped me along in terms of his communication with the surgeon).

What was his name tho.. perhaps if Mark reads this he will remember as at the moment I cannot recall it and the guy is definately worth consulting with and as I recall he was working with cervical ADR at the time of my consultation back in '06.

If I think of his name I'll edit this post tho a bit later~

Allan can add a few more doctors to this list as he's consulted with several others he recommends.

good luck!

Last edited by Maria; 04-13-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Sand52,

I like my doc.
He is Dr. Sylvain Palmer.
He is located in Mission Viejo, CA.
He is a neurosurgeon and a very talented surgeon.

runner
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Default LA Spine Docs

I really like Drs. Lauryssen, Regan, Khoo at UCLA (accepts BC in full/long wait) and have heard good things about Watkins in Marina Del Rey, Patrick Johnson, and the and Neel Annand (there too). I don't know what Bray's doing but he 's got an excellent reputation too. Best..
Old 04-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Dr. Regan did my one-level cervical ADR last year and a friend's 3-level cervical ADR just about 6 weeks ago, with great results. He is also a board-certified internist. And he will patiently answer questions!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 PM

Default re above reply

I'm so glad you posted this reply as I want to wait until Mark is back in action and ask for a 2nd cervical opinion with Dr.Regan. I really appreciated his input on my lumbar spine situation.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Default I need some help!

I was wondering if any one knows how many adrs dr.regan/delamarter has done. I was wonder if one is way more experienced than the other? I have been in touch with dr.delamarters office and am waiting for a reply as to if surgery is a go. Any info on the amount of surgeries they both have done and or who is more experienced would help.

Thanks,
eric
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

hello and welcome ericsbackhurts and sand52. I am not in the CA area, so I have no idea the answers to your questions; but wanted to welcome you.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 AM

Default reply to welcome

Thank you for the welcome! Well I have to say I am a little disappointed in the recommendations on this post. The reason being that I did have a prodisc surgery done by Delemarter and have had so many problems post surgery. I would have to say that I agree with the unavailability after surgery. After ADR surgery I have numerous problems, stenosis, herniated cervical c-5 disc needing surgery. Real bad headaches, neck and arms to hands pain. I do not even know what is going to happen with the ADR at my L3-4 above a fusion causing pain all the way down to legs and feet hurt. I spend most of my time laying down in bed the last 2 1/2 years. I am a musician and am hoping to get the neck fixed so I can at least play my music of which I love and live for. I am sorry for such a sad report but thank you for your replies. I am a WC case so I am sure Dr. Regan and the other high end doctors are out.

Last edited by sand52; 04-15-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 AM

Eric, Dr. Delamarter had supposedly done over 700 when I had mine done over a year ago. I do not know about Dr. Regan.

Sand52-Welcome, and I really liked Dr. Gregory Carlson who did my revision surgery. I also agree with runner that Dr. Sylvan Palmer is a good surgeon. I hope that you check with all the doctors about WC because I believe that many of them take those cases. don't give up.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Default reply to welcome

Hi Phylly,
How are you feeling? My WC insurance is very limited because it is Coventry but I think a lower end part called CIGA. Not very many big name doctors so I was hoping for some options. I know it is early in your recovery so hang in there and I see you have some new friends to take care of.

Sand52
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Default re recommendations

Sorry to disappoint re recommendations. I too am a WC client having used my future medical benefits since 1983. Mostly I didn't start utilizing them until my first surgery in '89 and then again with 2nd lumbar surgery in '92 and again starting up in '98 and forward as I needed further medical management (notes for time missed from work by Primary Treating Physician/OSS) and then Pain Management.

I managed to get opinions re further surgery intially thru Mark with Dr.Bertagnoli abroad, then WC picked up on this and sent me to UCSF for the ADR trials with the then Chief of Orthopedics and then to Dr.Delamarter and Dr.Regan I paid for the consultation for myself.

The clincher recommedation for surgery (hybrid surgery with fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4) was with the Neurosurgeon in La Jolla and I have to find the medical records to see who he was as I still cannot recall.

I didn't have surgery and WC has been pushing to do Medicare Set Aside or settle out completely for cost of surgery plus $1000.. we both know how far that would take me.

Perhaps you should consider getting an opinion from abroad and/or an opinion where you don't use your WC insurance and pay cash for just to hear or see what possibilities are out there for you...

Surely you've been reading here about the cervical surgeries Dr.Bertagnoli is doing abroad.. and perhaps you're saying "but I don't have this type of money" .. yes, well that's my case as well hence the decision to settle out with WC or continue to have them drag their feet with treatment authorization and so forth.. the system has been clamping down since 2005 and now it's like pulling a leg off to get them to authorize anything.

So good luck and hope someone will make a recommendation you think will be helpful to you. Your 2nd post gave some pertinent information. Sorry for the failed surgery .. and hope you can find someone that will work with the configuration you have currently and/or do whatever might help it out.. re the doctors we suggested that's just each of our own experiences seeing these doctors or those that did have surgery with them and may have had varying degrees of success. If you read the surgical part of the forum you will find people reporting on their surgeries/surgeons and how they did at various increments in time.

Last edited by Maria; 04-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Patrick Johnson and Carl Lauryssen are two more excellent surgeons. I saw Regan and Lauryssen and was impressed with both. In addition, Lauryssen's office is extremely well run.