Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss I just keep getting bigger... in the Main forums forums; Ok, I know this is petty, compared to what I was bitching about 4 months ago, when I was in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 AM

Default I just keep getting bigger...

Ok, I know this is petty, compared to what I was bitching about 4 months ago, when I was in so much pain my brain couldn't function. But, nevertheless, here I go... I am now 5 weeks post op and I have gained 15 pounds!!!! I don't feel like I am eating more than usual, feels like less in all honesty. I have been doing my walking; but apparently that isn't cutting it for me. I am so bummed, I had just got into a size 4 pre-surgery and now, I can't even fit into my old 'fat' clothes. Damn, I'm bummed.

I had my follow up appointment today (hence why I know my weight- I gave up weighing myself at home long ago). Dr Blumenthal said that my x-rays looked great and that Dr.Garcia had done a wonderful job (he said it could only be better if he had done it himself )
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM

Kathy,

Are you taking any of the weight-gaining medicines such as Lyrica or Neurotin (gabapentin)?
Are you getting enough sleep?
I gained weight post surgery (A lot more than 15 pounds) and am currently trying to lose it. I have lost around 10 pounds but find it frustratingly slow as gabapentin has caused me to gain weight!

runner
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 AM

It shows how things can be so different. I lost 15 lbs after surgery. I am skinny and can't afford to loose any. I looked "sickly". It took me many month to get my 15 lbs back, including icecream therapy.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 AM

Runner- I am on Lyrica; but have been on it for a long time. I'm guessing that it is my lack of activity. My kids have been being cared for by family during the day and hubby at night, so not been chasing them around and no housework (not that I'm complaining).

Fuzzy- Uhh, I'm so jealous. I felt like I should have lost weight in the first week, as I didn't eat in the hospital and not much for the first week, as I hurt too much to even think about food.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:48 AM

Kathy,
You are so blessed. You are young, beautiful, and hopefully pain free. You have so much time to lose a few pounds and what's wrong with a voluptuous woman anyway? I know we are all vain about the weight but it is the inside that is so important. Try not to think about the pounds and just buy some bigger jeans for awhile. Before you know it you will be back at the gym or running around after your kids. Hang in there for a few more months.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up

Kathy,

I totally get where you are coming from. I am about 10-15 pounds up too, and it is very depressing. Especially when we're not used to being overweight. I know for me it is the inactivity. And I still don't have the green light to do regular walking yet. (fusion restrictions are so different from adr restrictions) Needless to say, I don't see my weight budging until I am allowed a thumbs up to exercise routinely. Like you mentioned, you aren't chasing your kids around, huge surgery you're recovering from, the inactivity just piles the pounds on, regardless of your food intake. But unlike Phylly's response, no offense intended Phylly, because I keep you in high regard, but I personally would not go out and buy a bunch of "fat" clothes. Nothing contributes to complacency in the poundage arena more, than if you are suddenly in comfortable clothes again. Where's the incentive? I would be more inclined to purchase 1 pair of jeans, as let's face it, you need to be dressed and get out in the world. Just don't buy a wardrobe of new, bigger sizes. I don't see you doing that. I'm certainly not shooting for a size 4, like your former (and soon to be again!) ideal weight, but then again, I am almost 30 years older than you! I just want to be fit and toned again, and I will, and you will too. And believe me, because of your young age, you will get there way before me! Hang in there honey. You'll get there.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.