Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Private nurse for Lenox Hill Hospital? in the Main forums forums; I think I saw in a few posts that people have recommended hiring a private nurse while at Lenox Hill ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Private nurse for Lenox Hill Hospital?

I think I saw in a few posts that people have recommended hiring a private nurse while at Lenox Hill Hospital, to ensure that the patient receives all the ordered medications.

Did I read this correctly? Is this a common practice in the US? I don't think I have ever heard of it being done here in Canada, although I sure could have used it a few times, with the care or lack of it at the time.

So what would this nurse do? Does she/he have any control over overdue medications, etc? I would be very happy to do this if necessary.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:04 AM

Not usually done in California
Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Katie,

You can have a private nurse at Lenox Hill Hospital! The woman in the room across from mine did. My husband had mentioned it to me once I was more lucid. As I understand it, the private nurse was there basically to watch her patient & if anything went on, I believe she was able to assist the patient until the nursing staff could get there. All pain meds are under lock & key in the hospital. I don't think the private nurse was able to dispense any medications.

I'll ask my husband what he can recall once he wakes up. Poor guy works overnights & he's dead to the world at the moment.

You may also be able to e-mail the hospital to find out what their procedure is with having a private nurse assist you.

Here is a link to the hospital's website Lenox Hill Hospital

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09

Last edited by Nairek; 04-26-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added web link
Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 PM

It probably isn't necessary but I could have used one for the night shifts. I was a Stanford Hospital for two nights after an ALIF and both nights I had to wait a long time for pain meds...over an hour the first night when my pump clogged and my call button had fallen on the floor. Next night the nurse went to get my Vicodin and got distracted by a post op admit. Had to wait another hour.

Daytimes, the opposite is true. They never leave you alone.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 PM

So would they just bug the night shift to get the proper meds if the other nurse was busy? How would they assist with that? If my husband stayed overnight if we got a private room, would that be just as effective?
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Katie, the private nurse doesn't sound like a "nurse" but a nurse aide or a medical assistant. Usually the NA/MA have very limited clinical knowledge and are mainly there to "keep watch" of patients.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM

You are right Katie. It is just to take care of the patient in a better and effecient way. It is all about the concern for your dear ones.