Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical now was a old past lumbar sufferer in the Main forums forums; Disc heights are maintainted & No gross signal intensity abnormalities. Have a MRI that shows Cervical Stenosis - C3/4 has ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2009, 01:50 AM

Default Cervical now was a old past lumbar sufferer

Disc heights are maintainted & No gross signal intensity abnormalities.
Have a MRI that shows Cervical Stenosis -
C3/4 has narrowing of AP canal to 8 MM's slight disc protrusion bilateral facet arthophy Loss of Lordosis to the whole neck is shown & more levels involved -
C4/5 Mild Spondylosis Moderate left facet arthopathy & left neural foraminal narrowing is mild.
C5/6 Moderate L. posterior disc osteophyte Bilaterally with central stenosis mild narrowing of AP canal to approx. 7 MM & bilateral uncovrtebral joint hypertrophy and fect arthropathy with moderate left and mild right neural forminal narrowing.
C6/7 Posterior Disc Ostephyte complex with mild central canal stenosis narrowing AP canal to Approx. 9 MM Mild L.neural forminal narrowing 2ndary to uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.
C7/T1 Probably Root Sleeve Cyst associated with Right C8 Nerve Root.
Have a abnormal Allen's test which is a Ultrasound of my Left hand in April that shows compromised blood flow to both Ulnar & Radial Arteries & a weak pulse,which confirms Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - which we dont know if this is 2ndary to the neck or a separate issue. I would guess tied to the neck, but I am not a doctor just live in this body. The hand started in 06 finally in 07 went to the hand doc - had a EMG nothing showing so just tried to forget about it. I had hand surgery in 01 & just figured it was arthritis & weakneing as the ligament was not a good repair had low blood supply maybe back then ? It came came & went. Came on again in summer of 08 & now does not leave.
I had a VNG test by the ENT doctor which Confirmed the random dizzy spells recently- Evidence of Acute Peripheral Vestibulopathy Left R/O Peripheral Neuritis in April of this year.
Had a EMG nothing noteworthy. Had a EMG in 06 of my lumbar showed mild nerve loss L2 to L5. I just felt the leg numbness was my low back but it has steadily gotten worse if I sit past a 1/2 hour - standing it is fine.
Have started PT for my neck & arm but I really think it is not going to gain me much would love to be wrong, but having been thru back stenosis before... Have been using massage once a week lately to help my shoulder muscles from being so tight with pain.
I have sent my info to Dr Fenk Mayer & am awaiting for the last of the testing to reach there. I am only interested in conferring with a doc who is up on all latest techniques so I know he or she can pick from any tool that may serve me best, including ADR Cervical if they feel that is the best solution for me, who has some experience. I just NEED to know whatever they may suggest is based on complete experience & not due to limitations with good expertise.
I have shoulder issues chest left side by the heart area I feel it is connected to all of this as it comes & goes. Last week the right is now acting up. This has at times since last summer had me worried if I was having a H.A. My blood pressure started being unregulated 3 yr's ago & no meds control it well - sometimes it is normal - so I have always said get to the bottom of this & my BP will normalize. My Mother had the same issue & had neck problems. I feel it is now tied to the neck & found medical articles that support this & other findings I have. Arm pressure & the lack of good blood flow to my Dominant hand as well as huge headaches that med's are not controlling & some intermittent neck nerve feels like it is getting pinched off & on. I always feel as if someone is choking me on the sides of my neck & this does affect what I can eat now. Hands can get clumsy & left foot has given out a couple of times recently after brief sitting. Cant elevate my L arm and use of either hands in extending them exacberate both the hands & the neck. What is interesting is they call the stenosis mild but in my readings on the net, including Dr B's site - a MD had Stenosis of 9 MM's & they called it severe by his Radiologist. I have 7, 8 & 9 but I also went out & found normal canal is 15 to 20 so regardless I know I am less than halfish of normal. If that is mild so be it - I have one respected Spinal doc who has not seen all of the info yet, but they did offer this much on the stenosis - it is considered to be SIGNIFICANT Stenois not mild in their opinion & they felt it was inpinging on the myelin, which I dont need to tell you what that means we all know that aint grand & it explains alot.

There has been no migration of my ADR which is holding the 2 offset spinal ends together at L4 L5. It is positioned still well Although I am having some low back pain down very low below this yesterday & today i think it maybe compensating for the neck - after all we are all connected. Sitting is getting uncomfortable butt & tailbone.
For last 3 yr's eating anything rough or very large it is easy for me to choke - I have known but have been putting off in not wanting to go there til I had no choice. I finally am at that point as now anything that is not small & soft can be hard the pressure on the windpipe & espohagus. My lung also are getting obstructed in air getting thru chest Xray I just had compared to Aug 08 when I broke my 5th rib over my heart shows this conclusively. My thoracic area in the middle below my collarbone is now humped like my Mothers my guess is due to trying to compensate for room.
This neck got 2 whiplashes & then the side hit in 94 that broke my pelvis & hurt my low back at L4 L5 & made my neck weak so it helped move things a bit along. As well as there is bad necks in my Mom now passed, my Aunt & my sister who had more minor neck changes & had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome to her L. hand as well - she had the 1st rib removed but it did return when she tried to go back to her former work - she also did PT for her neck at this time. She had to go into a different line of work so to me I am not convinced the TOS is not in our case connected to the neck & use. As before distance here is a issue, as there are not presently Doc's who do much with Cervical ADR's here I think Foley has done the most - I dunno his count now but it was only under a handful last I checked.
I dont want to see anyone who cant pick from everything so i know their decision was not limited by what they do. I just need to know what is the best option, I have a idea, but I want "them" to tell me. I have refused ESI's knowing they are pointless in helping with Stenosis from my lumbar. I do not want to risk more damage to my osteopenia. I feel I need help sooner than waiting one of the God given gifts we are given is when we know we are progressing & for some reason my neck now is progressing faster I would rather not keep waiting due to the arm & TOS issues. I am in PT now & cant do even more than one lb of traction without making myself really flared up that is not enough to get any benefit. I would rather have a Ortho as my past the NS's usually seemed to want to wait til you had perm nerve damage. I just didnt' want to accept I was needing help - I was just so happy with my relief for my back & didnt' want to acknowledge this could be my neck getting worse but you eventually start to add it up. Sorry this is so long. Jill