Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss degenerative spine disease in the Main forums forums; hello,does anyone out there have the pain that im in. i had spontilytis on neck for 20yrs. i was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Default degenerative spine disease

hello,does anyone out there have the pain that im in. i had spontilytis on neck for 20yrs. i was told to take painkillers.since 2002 i started walking limping. then on 2006 i changed doctor,just as well i did. my doctor then refered me to a neorologist. i had to wait nearly a year. during the year i got really bad then i got my appointment to have a mri,i was told to stay were i was i was admitted right away. the mri had showed a very bad slipped disc with bulge the worse theyed ever seen.. i had my operation on august 07,then got worse had to go in and had another compression. since dec 07,ive had so much pain i cry every day. then on or around 08 i lower back started to get unbearable pain, i demanded anothe mri,which revealed disc damage which is degenerative spine disease at least i have a name to why im in pain.
now08,09 im now attending hospital for all kinds of health problems,incontinence,bowl problems,memory loss, im in worse pain than ive ever been in .im attending a pain clinic. im on tramadol,2 ant depression tabs for nerve damage. oh im only 37yrs single life gets harder by the day.
anyone out there who has gone through any of the above then ill be glad to hear from you thanks sharon.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM

Hello Sharon, Welcome to this group, I am totally with you. All of us here know your pain, you are in the right place. My spine is very similar as yours, degerative disk desease (DDD) everywhere. I am 44 yo and on a similar pill regimen and haven't worked a normal job in 8 years due to the constant problems. I had lumbar surgery and now facing neck surgery soon due to the degenerated disc's pressing on my spinal chord.

Having to wait for the neurogist for a year is totally outrageous but I also waited for 9 month and meainwhile travelled to europe to see someone there much faster which made the wait even more silly.

Take your meds, be strong and read this and other groups. You will learn a lot of very valuable information that will help you one way or another guaranteed. At a minimum there are many here who will listen to you and give you support.

I wish you the best and no more pain.

Last edited by fuzzy; 06-30-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the forum. We've been there, done that and understand your pain and circumstances. I don't know where you live that you had to wait a year for treatment but if possible, it's now time to seek another opinion, possibly more than one. You're in pain and depressed. Enough already. Depending on your very specific diagnosis, there is probably help out there for you. Getting that help presents its own problems though. You need to become proactive in your own treatment and this is a good place to begin your education.

If I read correctly, you had a herniation with surgery in '07, followed by involvement of a second level by '08. I'm assuming the levels were S1/L5 and then L4/5 but that isn't necessarily a given. So what levels were involved? Did you have a discectomy? A second discectomy? Do you have a current MRI? If not, that needs to be done, the sooner the better. That is your first step. Once you have a current diagnosis, you can then ask questions related to your condition.

I know you're hurting but and we're here to help. Where you live, your medical insurance, your finances - all play a roll in how this is tackled. Please let us know your circumstances.

Dale
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Sharon. Degenerative disc disease is a common theme here, and we do understand your pain and the frustrations involved in getting treatment. This forum is a great place to educate yourself.

As Dale stated, it is imperative to take your health care into your own hands. Educating yourself is an important aspect of this process, and we can help you. Read as many threads here as you can, ask questions. We are here to help. Getting several opinions is also important. I don't know where you live, or how easy that is to do, but it can be done with persistence on your part.

Good luck to you.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone