Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Anti-inflammatories in the Main forums forums; We're here to help and support one another and I discovered something beneficial. I sustained severe nerve damage to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Default Anti-inflammatories

We're here to help and support one another and I discovered something beneficial.

I sustained severe nerve damage to my left leg during my 3 level adr surgery. Pt and accupuncture helped me get off all drugs except Celebrex which I will probably be on for the rest of my life. I still live with daily pain but it mostly stays at a level 1-2. I should also mention that L2/3 doesn't behave itself all the time.

I had/have been using a lidocaine patch on my back whenever I overdid or otherwise strained something. My new pm diagnosed bursitus in my left hip, prescribing Voltaren gel every night. Unfortunately, I had the exact opposite effect from using this and now use the patches which have improved the pain and weakness I feel at the end of the day.

However, I tried the Voltaren gel after a recent muscle spasm in my back that wouldn't let go,and after a few days, what a difference. I stopped using it and the spasm returned. I used the Voltaren again and again, the spasm subsided. I stopped again and the spasm returned. I now use it every night and so far, so good.

Just food for thought if anyone thinks they might benefit from either med. Voltaren gel is a muscle relaxer.

Dale
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

That's quite interesting Dale.

But wasn't Voltaren or Celebrex discontinued here in Canada because of the serious side effects...heart problems or something? I will check it out. My mom was on it and had to stop because of that.

I'm always amazed at how differently drugs affect people. They help some and do harm with others, depending on how their systems absorb the chemicals. Sort of like how poison ivy doesn't affect some people.

Thanks for sharing that. It will do a great deal of good for many of us. Is it by prescription only down there in the States? I didn't know it came in cream form.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.

Last edited by Katie; 08-02-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Found it. There were quite a number of websites about it, but this is a quote from "ScienceBlog"

Voltaren (75 mg twice daily) was associated with rates of heart attack that were 51 percent and 63 percent higher, respectively, than placebo. An analysis of a large number of trials comparing COX-2 inhibitors to other NSAIDs found similar results – that Voltaren was estimated to increase vascular risk by about 70 percent over Aleve.

I don't know how that relates to the creme form, but it's good to know about some of the side effects.

I am glad it is working for you, Dale.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Dale,
It seems that it is looking like that I may be on mobic for the rest of my life. I did not have the same relief from the Voltarin cream that you did. It seemed to help on my back, but it's my legs that kill me. I wanted it for my leg pain, but they said a dose that big might be fatal. I am using absorbine horse ligament cream now! I know, I know. I am not a horse, but man does it feel good!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Default thanks

Dale,
I had a huge muscle spasm on Sat eve right about waist level tho in the back and couldn't even get myself on the toilet hardly.. it was BADDD!

I finally broke down and took a Skelaxin. I dislike this med as I feel so sick after it wears off.. however it does help spasms both lumbar and cervical it appears.. Ok then Sunday a.m. I had an injection 60mg of Toradol.

I was able to go out and walk quite a bit .. in fact instead of my back hurting my feet hurt today!

Back in the day I suffered great long periods with back spasms.. it took several days for the acute phase to wear off and sometime at least a week followed by one to two weeks more of continued pretty intense pain.

I guess that's the benefit of drugs.. I'd surely rather use a topical application if it would work so thank you for that bit of information and perhaps I'll try it as well
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

First, I said Voltaren gel was a muscle relaxer - it is actually an nsaid with all the risks, side effects and benefits related to all nsaids.

However, the systemic absorption of Voltaren Gel (1% diclofenac sodium in topical gel formulation) is 94% less than oral diclofenac (generic for Voltaren) about.com

It is used primarily for those suffering with knee or hand osteoarthritis, reducing pain levels by about 50%. The most common side effect is skin reaction.

BUT AGAIN, this is an nsaid. Serious complications increase with long term usage and age. Just because this med has been deemed safer than other nsaids already taken off the market by the FDA does not mean it is without risk. Please decide for yourself.

Dale
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM

thank you for this message. I also suffer greatly, am on celebrex, and morphine, and norco,soma, valium, ambien, lidoderm patches, and still, the spasms..you can see them. I am going to try this. Lets pray I get the same result! thank you thank you thank you
Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 AM

Catherine,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with an unsuccessful ADR. Did you already have your revision surgery? Who did it? Your signature has no dates. When did all this happen?

You seem to still be experiencing a lot of pain. Perhaps I misunderstood or is this what it is? What do the doctors tell you?

Please tell us about yourself... and welcome to the forum.

Dale
Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Default thanks..

Dale,
I wasn't even thinking about what classification of drug Voltaren is ~ I have taken it in the past w/GI meds after failed spine surgery. I have long not been able to take Nsaids orally but I have found that IM Toradol does not bother me GI wise.

I've found that IM Toradol stops spasms pretty much straight away for me but if there were a topical solution that I could tolerate I would certainly prefer to go there... the GI effects of oral muscle relaxers to date have been irritatingly displeasing.

thanks for your *find*