Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Neck Pain without arm/nerve pain.... in the Main forums forums; I just turned 30 and dont know what to do...All my pain must be from the stenosis and ddd......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Unhappy Neck Pain without arm/nerve pain....

I just turned 30 and dont know what to do...All my pain must be from the stenosis and ddd...please help guide me...plus my neck is constantly making "crunching" sounds....
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately, the guidence you need must come from a doctor in whom you trust along with your own gut instinct based on personal knowledge from research. We can recommend doctors to go and not to go to. We can tell you what treatments we've had and what was good or bad about them but any ultimate decision must be made by you for only will will gain the benefit from a successful treatment or suffer the consequences of a failure.

Pain is one of the strongest motivators and decisions based on hope because ABC said it worked for him and your symptoms are similar may not coincide with your diagnosis.

Asking specific questions, e.g. what is this and when is it utilized - does this treatment work for ... has anyone heard anything about Dr. ... My MRI shows ... but my doctor says there is nothing he can do or he recommends this treatment but from what I've discovered, it's not recommended... and so on.

The more information you have, the more questions you can ask your doctor. The more you know, the more you'll understand. 30 is pretty young to have severe back or neck problems. Making a mistake is something you'll live with for a long time. ASK QUESTIONS and don't worry about making a pest of yourself. We've all been there.

Dale
Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 AM

Default ^

^ thanks but I get better info here then I do from the Docs..
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM

Exactly! When I asked a similar question here before, I got the same response about asking a doctor instead of an internet forum. My answer was that was there were so many people here with similar past experiences, and no huge egos (usually) that their answers would be more well rounded than many surgeons.

My experience with surgeons has been less than helpful, with one telling me I had carpal tunnel, without doing any neurological testing and ignoring the diagnosis of some of the world's best, down to others telling me that I wasn't a car and couldn't go around getting spare parts put in. That even hip replacements were only 'somewhat successful'. I have yet to come across a local doctor who can give me a reliable diagnosis, but have had excellent feedback from members of this and other forums.

Not everyone can travel to doctors they can trust, especially to get multiple opinions. But the collective knowledge here is amazing. He's not asking for them to do surgery, but to provide some intelligent feedback based on experience.

"the guidance you need must come from..... along with your own gut instinct based on personal knowledge from research" and "ASK QUESTIONS" I believe he is actually following your advice, by asking questions and for personal knowledge from others who have been there, done that.

JKDE, having said all that, all I can offer is my experience. My cervical levels are not generating pain in my arms and hands either, just occasionally in my neck . However, my MRIs show that my spinal cord is severely compressed by the herniated discs along with the ligaments. My hands and arms have started to go numb when I work in a certain position, but there is no pain and never has been. Two top doctors have told me that I am at great risk of quadriplegia from this and that I need surgery urgently, but I have been unable to successfully work though an Insurance appeal yet and cannot afford a five level surgery on my own. (I need three levels in my lumbar treated as well)

Good luck with this, and I hope others chime in. I also hope that you can find a surgeon that you can trust to give you a solid diagnosis, but I know how difficult that is.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

Default ^

^ Thanks for your input Katie...