Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Shoe inserts/withdrawl from Forteo = spine pain in the Main forums forums; Hi all. I've been quite well controlled with my low back pain over a period of time now and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Shoe inserts/withdrawl from Forteo = spine pain

Hi all.
I've been quite well controlled with my low back pain over a period of time now and still like to have an occasional ESI to help out when really having screaming pain however let's just say of late that I was doing *well* w/o intervention other than regular low daily dose of pain med and Neurontin.

Skip to new running shoes (don't run but like light weight shoes for walking) and change of shoe inserts for pretty severe pronation. Don't bother with orthotics as the more severe correction has caused pretty intense sciatica.

Using some great inserts from Runner's High called Sole and they took some adjusting to in terms of reaching really great foot comfort while walking~

I recently bought a new pair of same shoes but used a different less corrective insert. While I walked well and w/o foot pain I noticed my back was beginning to hurt quite a bit. Legs became to have quadraceps burn again (something I've not had in a long long time).

At the same time I have had a defective pen dispensary system for my Forteo that treats Osteoporosis. I haven't been receiving the daily dose that I've used now for 8 months consecutively for about 2 weeks and had difficulty getting a replacement pen thru pharmacy re Eli Lily being stinkers in general to deal with so went an extra week w/o new pen replacement/daily dose of Forteo (injectable sub-q). Restarting the Forteo has increased the malaise even more so and there's a feeling of pretty intense nausea that I had nearly the first 2 months while starting this drug. Hopefully the prior 8 month use of it will be stored in my body's memory somewhere and I'll get a kickstart on feeling better...

Ok, so first dose yesterday seemed to alleviate the quad pain somehow but then my low back is still quite flared up. Trying to revert back to former shoe inserts and hope that will do the trick with a few more days as I leave for Florida Tues. night to try and be of some assistance to my 88 y.o. father who lives alone.

I was denied an ESI as I've stated here before and normally this would be an ideal time to have one tho I'm just hoping *time* and use of what has worked for me in terms of foot care/treating pronation and adequate daily dose of Forteo again will set my spine straight.

I do think the lack of Forteo has not only attributed to my spine pain but also to more generalized malaise and joint discomfort.

After this episode w/repeated customer service contact with Eli Lily I will be some glad when the 24 months of this medication use are over. Dealing with this pharmaceutical company was a real pain.

Last edited by Maria; 11-15-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM

If it weren't for extreme incompetence, life might actually be just a little more pleasant. Then again, I suppose it's deliberately designed that way to keep our emotions high lest we become a more complacent society.

I'm sorry for your troubles Maria. You certainly have been run through the gamet too many times over. Then again, you can't give in so I guess you're destined to do battle. It's still a no win situation!

D
Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Default restarting Forteo

Hi Dale,
What a difference this medication seems to have made. I still have some back pain but not the overall really sluggish feeling and the joint type of pain plus more severe back pain. This could also be the shoe inserts and most likely is to some degree because while my low back is still hurting the more severe pain has been alleviated.

And I leave Weds night so I have an extra day to try and get it all together for 6 weeks away...

Am leaving my kitties here with sitter ~ ages 15 and 14 and I'm like a worried hen.. cluckcluck!

thanks again Dale. I seem to overcome usually. My father is having more probs so I'm going to try and quiet my own head and deal with his concerns vs. mine (or at least shut up and stop complaining)!

Oh yes re extreme incompetence.. what a nightmare Walgreens has become here.. it's as tho it turned into a County hospital pharmacy (probably has) and they can't seem to get my scripts right even with them and me right in front of them!!! The poor pharmacist looks frantic and is trying~ that I can see..

Last edited by Maria; 11-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Default .

Shoe inserts are a must for anyone with spine pain...

C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.