Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss SCS - Horrible Pain Everything went wrong! in the Main forums forums; Please excuse my typo and grammar....in excruciating pain. On March 22, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. I went ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 AM

Default SCS - Horrible Pain Everything went wrong!

Please excuse my typo and grammar....in excruciating pain. On March 22, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. I went in for the start of my SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator trial surgery. Surgery at 12:30 p.m. and ended somewhere around 3:00 p.m. I awoke from the surgery with some discomfort as expected but some suttle surprises. To my dismay the orthopedic surgeon had installed the permanent SCS paddles which were around T8/T9. Since I have 4 younger children at home it was decided to keep me overnight in the hospital to give me some quite time to start the healing process. The surgeon stated the surgery went fairly well but he had to make a few holes in my spine for the paddle to fit properly.Around 9:00 PM that night I started feeling a good bit of discomfort in my back which the nurses said was normal and they administered some IV pain meds. Around 2:00 in the morning is when things went all wrong. I woke up with excruciating pain in my middle back and had a HORRIBLE banding of pain that went from near where the paddles were and wrapped around my middle section. It was like a horrible hot knife that was being stabbed around my ribs. The pain was 15 to 20 plus on a 10 pain scale. It was so bad that I was banging my head against the wall, pacing from wall to wall and could not get comfortable. The pain was so bad that they called the on call surgeon who said to give more IV pain meds. About an hour or two later I was able to lay down on a hard couch type bed in the recovery from and with some Zanex I got about an hour or two of broken sleep. Next morning pain had subsided a bit but my heart rate was over 145 BPS and they could not get it down. After lots of pain meds they were able to get it down around 110 BPS. Next day pain was a bit better so they discharged me from the hospital. I still had horrible pain banding around my chest, lost feeling in my left side, abdomen, and my testicles & groin. Loss off feeling in groin causued me to have to urinate by gravity since I could not feel the urine flow. Pain got worse at home that night and I started urinating on myself and hand not had a bowel movement in two days. I got about 2 hours of broken sleep that night only getting a bit of comformt on a hard couch in the living room. Around 6:00 AM I woke up with the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life….pain banding around my ribs and horrible pain in my t-spine area of my back. I tried to get up off the couch and collapsed to the floor in pain. Could not move or get up from this excruciating pain banding from the middle of my back around my chest, urinating on myself and still hand not passed a bowel nor felt a need to have a bowel movement. Paramedics were called, Blood Pressure was 186/116 due to pain. My wife said I was screaming louder than she thought was humanly possible. Was taken to the hospital by paramedics with morphine drip to control the screaming/pain. Surgeon ordered a CT Mylogram with die. Was in so much pain they could not get me to lay flat on the table. Docs decided to put me on constant IV Morphine and then Dilaudid. I was giving so much pain meds I do not recall many of the events (My wife is dictating). Surgeons took me in for emergency surgery. Performed double laminectomy at the area where the ortho placed the SCS Leads. I still do no know whey but surgeon is being very reluctant to share information. He removed to huge pieces of bone from around T7 thru T9 and also for some reason went ahead and installed the permanent SCS battery, etc. I woke up with TOTAL Amnesia which they attribute to the incredible mount of pain and stress that my body had been subject to. Still no feeling in my groin, scrotum, lower abdomen, and left side. A day or two later they discharged me from the hospital even though I was still having the bad banding of pain from mid back around ribs in front. Next day pain got so bad (Pain banding again) that I went in to see my pain doc. He took one look at me and said that there was something horribly wrong and due to me urinating on myself and no bowel movement for over a week that he thought I was in spinal cord compression distress. Hospital only 10 minutes away but he demanded that I be taken by ambulance to hospital. Admitted again, and was placed under General Anesthesia for CT Mylogram (due to my pain and inability to lye flat). Ct Mylogram showed some flattening of my spinal cord now and neuro states nerve damage. How could this have gone so horribly wrong and the ortho wont tell us what went wrong. States that the pain banding may last for a few years and may never go away. I feel so guilty for wanting to get rid of the leg pain and now these horrible complications have made things so much worse. I don't even know how to pick up the pieces from here and am scared to death of where to turn. I do have an a appointment with antother neuro this week but I just cannot even begin to think when or if anything can be done from here. I am an absolutle mess both in pain and emotionally a wreck.