Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dr bertagnoli in the Main forums forums; Hi Spines I would like to know who has the pleasure to have surgery with Dr Bertagnoli. What was your ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM

Default Dr bertagnoli

Hi Spines

I would like to know who has the pleasure to have surgery with Dr Bertagnoli.
What was your experience?
What was your surgery?
Did it work?
How many Levels?
Would you do it again?
How was your travel?
Was it covered?
How is your life now better, worse, the same?
Any more information would be great
Thanks
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Default answers?

Gil,
I hope you may have gotten some private mails re your question and/or some answers tho if not maybe by now you've done a search under the Surgeries part of the forum or gone to GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR and read about surgeries there with Dr.Bertagnoli.

Good luck, please keep us updated
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi Maria

I have not received any replies, But mt information is on the way, Today I am pain free with no meds? Must be all the rain?

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Gil,

Sorry, I've been in Italy-

Dr. B did my surgery 4 1/2 years ago. I consider my surgery a success but during the procedure, the nerve root to my left leg was 'irritated'. To tell you the truth, while I'm positive I was in the right hands and I can't even imagine what would have happened in less experienced hands, I have to wonder, as I deal with this disability if it could have been prevented. It's just something that has stayed in the back of my mind and which I have never put into words before. Perhaps I'm feeling this way because while in Europe, this disability interfered with just about everything but at the same time, I did go and had a great time, something I could not have done without this surgery.

Gotta go- busier than H---. BTW, if given the opportunity for a redo, I'd do it again.

My best to you, Dale
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Some months ago i stumbled across a website by a USA girl working in Germany who had a back op by Dr B while there. I didn't bookmark the site but it is out there somewhere. Her experience, as she reported, really frightened me. She was a very angry person and had to have the ADR removed in USA.
This Dr is world renowned minimal surgery guy, so they say...
Willkommen im Alpha Spine Center*-*HERNIATED DISC
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal33 View Post
Some months ago i stumbled across a website by a USA girl working in Germany who had a back op by Dr B while there. I didn't bookmark the site but it is out there somewhere. Her experience, as she reported, really frightened me. She was a very angry person and had to have the ADR removed in USA.
Her story is also on ispine:
One year Hell ADR in Germany (L4/5).Revision to fusion.
There is also website dedicated to her story - just check profile of Job13
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal33 View Post
Minimally-invasive spine surgery is something completely, completely different.

And yes, Dr. Hoogland is one of the pioneers, leaders and innovators in this field.

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Hello

I have seen B13s story and it was shocking
I am thinking things over and re thinking about MISS to do the least procedures first.
I could have a lot of little surgeries and do O.K. or do one large surgery and hope it works or be @%$#@ up for ever!!

Thanks For your concern

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator

We are all on a sliding scale of risk vs. potential benefit. Doing MISS is a no brainer if you are a good candidate and stand a reasonable chance of success. The farther you are down the road of degeneration, failed conservative treatment, failed MISS, etc... the less likely you are to find success with the less invasive, minimally invasive, non-invasive treatments. At some point, it becomes wishful thinking.

While MISS is lower risk than bigger, open procedures, they are not risk free. There is also risk involved in not addressing mechanical issues in a timely manner.

The bottom line is that needing to have this discussion means you are in trouble. We have very few options and they all suck. We are just looking for the option that sucks less.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Well said....

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Default re what you're thinking

Gil,
I had a percutaneous surgery on L4 back in '92. Band aide surgery, not open not big scars, supposedly less time to recover, spent in bed and so forth.

First surgery was big/open bilateral discectomy of L5S1 and partial laminectomy.

I did better with first surgery. 2nd failed miserably. Maybe it was because it was newer surgery back then and/or the surgeon sucked out too much disc, whatever...

Now I've waited 4 years since I was last authorized to have surgery. WC here in CA is doing nothing .. no ESIs no surgeries and besides that my endplates and facets are now not in shape for ADR re my OSS.

He even said this last time that I have so many levels of degeneration he wouldn't want to do anything unless he absolutely had to (which I think is the only way thru WC now I could get anything done).

So there's my story with less invasive surgery and waiting. I've done better I must admit with ESIs, drugs and so forth tho I doubt I can withdraw off the drugs and have any semblence of relief and now I guess there isn't much I can do about my spine options or at least here in the good ol' USA unless I plan on paying for whatever surgery recommended.

Funny.. what I was trying to avoid would probaby be my only option now and that's multi level fusion. Not really funny. Crappy spines suck. I believe now there is more than likely an optimal time for the right procedure for the right patient with the right doctor. Even then one must realize there are no guarantees. We have to take the leap of faith so to speak when timing is right. Each person figures that out for his or herself.

Last edited by Maria; 06-09-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Try to find her story on anastasiascott.com Its her site I came across looking for some advice and help myself.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 AM

It's hard to know the consequences of long term failed conservative treatment. A friend showed me a recent scan of her lumbar spine. She had back pain, but no surgery, for 30 years. L3 & L4 were thin and black and L5/S1 was half naturally fused, her body must have resorbed almost the whole disc over time. She works full time and cleans her house. It amazed me.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM

Smile Dr Bertagnoli

I contacted Dr B's US representative online to inquire of process and ADR adjacent fusion costs. Tim Vicknair, with European Medical Tourist called me within hours
providing basic info.
I was relieved to hear my doctor in Tampa (Dr John Small) knows Dr Bertagnoli and said he was a good surgeon. (My insurance will not cover surgery here in US.) I am seriously considering Dr. B.

I have C5-6 & 6-7 fused (14 yrs) and my Dr Small is recommending I avoid another fusion at C4-5 due to his projection of degeneration rate at C3-4.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone had success with Spinal Canal Stimulator? (Trying to buy time and degree amount of pain meds). Thank you! God Bless...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 AM

RIP Freedom of Speech

Last edited by Job13; 03-28-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM

First off how is your nerve irritation doing? And secondly that lady that complained about dr b I was told her story by B if anyone is interested. It's probably true but I can't swear to it cause I heard it second hand.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Default adr sept 2016

was told she did have a bad disc but it was probably not her pain indicator she chose to have surgery and as predicted by dr b it didnt not relieve her pain. also he offered to help her free of charge but he was not a sacrum dr. i heard this directly from the good dr