Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Cervical cord compression symptoms worsened by weather! in the Main forums forums; I'm guessing I have had a glimpse of my non-surgical future recently. I live in a part of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Cervical cord compression symptoms worsened by weather!

I'm guessing I have had a glimpse of my non-surgical future recently. I live in a part of Canada where we have Chinook winds, heavy, warm winds that are cause by high and low pressure systems colliding over the mountains.

Yesterday I thought I was done for with my neck - I had spinal cord compression diagnosed 6 years ago and having no symptoms, I have been trying to avoid surgery ever since. I woke up feeling god-awful all over, achy, slightly nauseous, sore neck, twitches in my arms, buzzing in my trap muscle, and I figured my neck had reached the point of no return. Boy was I bummed. I have made it this far and was hoping I could put off dealing with things indefinitely. But yesterday was awful.

I woke up this morning feeling much better, and remembered that this happened a month or so ago too. Then, as the temperature here roared up from -15C to +4 in a few hours, it dawned on me - it was the Chinook! I'm guessing the dramatic change in barometric pressure affects my brain and spinal cord in a manner similar to how it causes migraine headaches in a lot of people. I'm hoping so, anyway!

Anybody else had a similar experience?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM

Default Scary!

How long does your doctor think you can wait for surgery?
Being one that has waited and waited re more surgery and then actually done better by virture of autofusion of L5S1 I consider myself very fortunate however I haven't had a clinical picture that would absolutely necessitate surgery except pain so I didn't feel particularly bad playing the waiting game (except that now I can't have ADR anymore because I've waited too long).

Ok re barometric pressure types of situations my spine seems to react strongly tho not just my spine~ now it's my hands, feet, knees, and as you mentioned migraines (tho particularly when we have heat waves)...

When it's dry my body seems to do pretty well tho when very damp or if rain is on the way my body lets me know. Usually before it's going to rain I feel like an alien is trying to bust of my low back and if it's very humid my hands swell and ache esp. at the base of my thumbs. When it's very hot and humid I get migraines and I generally feel really cranky. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on w/my neck and when. Acts up quite a bit now..and seems like all weather scenarios are involved. Being cold seems to really bother accessory musculature and bring on spasms.

Wonder if I should move to Arizona??!!!

Last edited by Maria; 11-29-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 PM

I too am finding the barometric pressure affects not only my back, but I feel achy when it increases. My husband is finding the same thing. It started just a few years ago for both of us.

Sucks to grow older, doesn't it?

D
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 AM

For me, dsh, increased pressure is good, I think...keeps the cord from swelling and thus getting pinched. I'm guessing that what I experience is a slight version of altitude sickness. So I should move to sea level!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Might you get tired of winters like this?

10 Day Weather Forecast for Phoenix, AZ - weather.com
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org