Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New symptom in the Main forums forums; Yesterday, a new 'pain' began. I'm experiencing a sharp, nerve related pain in one specific spot, just about the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Default New symptom

Yesterday, a new 'pain' began. I'm experiencing a sharp, nerve related pain in one specific spot, just about the middle, on the side of my shin. For the most part, the pain lasts just a few seconds but occasionally, just a quicky, but every so often, lasts several seconds. Pain can come several times a minute or a few times an hour.

Yesteray, at the dentist, the chair felt tilted down, maybe 5* but is the first time since my surgery I allowed any negative decline. It was only 1/2 hour but I'm now wondering if there's a correlation - and what I can expect. This is just a little too coinky-dinky. So does anyone know if I did some permanant damage or ????.

Writing this, I had 3 of those sharp pains, no, make that 4.

Dale
Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Greetings from Zwickau. I get the occasional VERY intense pains that are tough to explain. Last night, I got one that was about the worst I've ever experienced. It was in my big toe... felt like someone was standing on a knitting needle, balanced on my toe. Yow! This sounds similar... just an unexplained and very intense pain... very localized. I don't know what to think of this... I just hope I don't see it too often.

Regarding the negative incline: are you saying it really was 5 degrees negative, or it felt like that (as if you were experiencing some vertigo???)

I think you are saying it was really tilted head-down. Here in Zwickau, I'm learning about arachnoiditis and many related ailments. There are some positional / gravity dependant configs, but trying to explain them now is still over my head, or feet if I'm on a negative tilt!

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Default re new pains

Dale,
I've experienced something like Mark has with these zinger/zapping types of sharp or electric very abbreviated pains shooting out of my big toes. They didn't last long ... maybe several weeks. I was already off Neurontin as I recall so I had wondered if it was related to this or something else.

Whichever ... went away. I do so many things that are sometimes a new endeavor for me or one I've not done in a long time so I'm always wondering if this is related to that..

I've had other symptoms that lasted a bit of time like a few weeks of feeling water or something wet on one of my legs and checking thinking I spilled something but knowing I didn't. Went away.

Many little weird pains that I basically am wondering "what's this?" and then they seem to disappear and I forget about them.

Hopefully they mean nothing. Or let me rephrase that.. "nothing significant." Good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Funny about the knitting needle reference. It's the same term I use and have been getting jabs since feeling first returned to my leg 5 years ago. Big toe, foot, ankle, (both legs) and knee and thigh have been it's favorite spots but my calf is a new one.

Pretty sure I was slightly negative and can't help but think it's a cause and effect though by now, the needles have slowed considerably. Wish they would stop as I'm still unsure which is appropriate, hitting the ceiling or the floor- though the floor has the advantage of being easier. PM says it's nerves waking up- I say they're aggravated because I did something stupid!

D... ouch!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Default hmmm

I tend to agree with your assessment since we know ourselves re some *stuff* we do and I am quite thankful if nerves haven't woken up to give me full time grief again however long the duration the jabbing zings/pains might be. If something should continue I'd have it checked out. Otherwise usually whatever is gone before I can even have an appt. date!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Default how's it going?

Dale,
Are you still having the same symptoms or have they increased in frequency, duration and intensity? Have you seen or talked to your doc if so re symptoms? Hope they've gone away
Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Maria -

Symptoms are definitely subsiding but I'm getting new jabs in my right leg now. The whole thing is connected to everything including the weather but as long as whatever pains don't keep me from doing whatever and they don't take anything away but my breath - it's doable.

On another note, I was so sick yesterday, I couldn't get out of bed. One day in bed and my back is complaining. You'd think it would say thank-you but no, it's saying get your lazy ass out of this thing! Glad it was short lived because another day in bed and I'd be in some serious pain

Dale
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 PM

Default re symptoms

I'm like that as well Dale re if it's not so bad to keep me down I'm up and going. Re staying in bed my back tires out that way as well and esp. if I'm lying on my love seat at night watching TV and fall asleep. I wake up with achey hips and back hurting. Really need firm surface. Two hours of sleep in bed on back w/legs elevated and cervical pillow (proper positioning for my body/back/probs) seems to help that all out and I wake up feeling fine usually.

It's weird.. use to have to stay in bed for back to feel better and now I have to stay out of it to feel better and I'm definately happy that the latter is what keeps my low back feeling good. Of course sitting long periods still flares me up tho I don't have the problem to the degree I used to re sitting.

Hope your "jabs" will go away and leave you not even remembering they happened and also hope you feel better ASAP!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Okay -so now all these new jabs have subsided - all seems back to normal except - the rain, or barametric pressure, take your pick, has caused me so much pain I feel I can hardly stand up straight. My whole back hasn't hurt like this since - well before my surgery. We need the rain but come one- can't we space it out a little - like 2 days here and there.

My hands ache too - I'm surprised I can even type this

The only one who loves this is Lucy, who gets a nice rubdown with a warm towel every time she goes out. I think she purposely waits for a downpour, knowing the rubdown will last a a little longer - who is she trying to kid? I'd close the doggy door but she'd just stand there and bark. She sure has us trained right!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Default re barometric pressure

I always seem to ache before the rain happens and my hands hurt more than my back. They were so bad I couldn't hold anything using forefingers and thumbs but now that the rain is coming down my hands feel better and so does my back. In fact I hardly have any problems. It does seem that most of my problems must have been L5S1 even tho L4 had a bigger bulge than L5 and rebulged...

Hmmm. I feel good except I caught a cold and I HAVE TO take Lola out for her walks as I live on the 2nd floor apt. and she doesn't use a wee wee pad. She hates the rain and will only walk in it if it's hardly coming down. Such a silly dog. Boy does she smell wet doggy like! I keep using baby wipes to clean her paws and legs off and then dry her with paper towels before coming in on my rug and wipe her down with a small towel more thoroughly once inside.

The cats are loving having the heater on all the time. My back loves it too. My pocket book won't but who cares. Now if only the management could get the hot water fixed. Day 2 with no hot water. Not liking this at all as a hot a.m. shower really helps me get going quickly re my spine and joints in general!

Hope the rain stops soon and you'll feel back to normal (good) once that happens!