Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss questions people ask me in the Main forums forums; if i had a dollar for everytime someone asked me, do you think it's the cold weather that make ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Default questions people ask me

if i had a dollar for everytime someone asked me, do you think it's the cold weather that make your pain worse? oh, and are you getting enough calcium? what do they think that has do with ddd is beyond me!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Cheryl,

Welcome to the forum. Several things here -

First, it's a known fact, and by doctors too, that fusion can and often does lead to DDD. The medical world knows this and why ins co don't and won't cover ADRs is unknown. I don't even think it's a money thing anymore ????.

Second, people mean well when they ask you whatever questions. Most are not familar with the suffering that goes along with severe back pain and subsequent surgeries. This is very definitely a case of it takes one to know one (any chronic sufferer).

Third, I sent you a pm.

Please let us know more about your situation, Dale
Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Not just that..

If I had a dime for every suggestion people make to me regarding my back and how to handle pain or general exercises for back problems I could have probably reached millionaire status by now. What gets me is it's often someone that's never had a back surgery let alone a failed back surgery and spent the latter half of their life as a person with some major spinal issues.

Even tho people may mean well many a person can go on endlessly even after I state my case and pretty much say I don't feel like talking about it as I'm pretty much talked out on this topic these days and really have moved on where my spine isn't my universe as far as controlling my life anymore. If someone has real questions and wants information that's another story tho I don't care to be lectured to by the inexperienced and unknowing. Again valid concerns, questions are fine ... lectures on how I should take care of my back aren't welcome (so a little interest is OK tho lectures.. not).

Usually I just say I don't want to waste time talking about my back because I have everything pretty much under control and it's a boring topic~ let's talk about something fun/interesting/exciting!

However that being said~ cold damp weather does bother my back and I have osteoporosis so it's important to monitor one's bone mineral density and seek treatment for osteopenia and osteoporosis. DDD causes can be multifactoral and people should educate themselves about it happens as we age just some of us know about it because we're symptomatic or had xrays/MRIs/CT scans and such and some think they're exempt and have never even had any testing done so may be unaware.

Some of what people ask or talk to us about is a good opportunity to educate with the knowledge we have picked up along the way in our spinal expertise of sorts!

Last edited by Maria; 12-17-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM

I get this too. See this healer and that healer, do more exercise and take more herbs and calcium this and that. Getting to the point of not mentioning it unless there is a really good reason.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Default hello to all repliers

well it would be so iritating if it weren't for the fact that it's the same people that ask or tell me things all the time. i keep telling them i hurt everyday. it doesn't matter what time of year. i hate it when people who know me, know the pain i'm in but still say good-morning, how are ya? so i have to either lie and say good or tell them the truth and tehn they are sorry they asked. i know they mean well, but when you know someone is in chronic pain, just say good-morning and leave it at that.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 AM

Default those people

Are probably truly well intentioned. They cannot just leave it at "good morning" because they may truly care about you and want to know how you are and then of course there are those people who already know how we're going to respond so maybe it would be good to just say "I"M doing FINE" and let it go at that... then they'd probably want to know why.. (it was the whacky weed I smoked last night or maybe since I got beamed up by aliens I think I'm doing better...)!! Add some humour and change the subject!!!

Or flip it on them.. oh yes, by the way how are you after your vasectomy/hysterectomy?....
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Red face hehe great response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Are probably truly well intentioned. They cannot just leave it at "good morning" because they may truly care about you and want to know how you are and then of course there are those people who already know how we're going to respond so maybe it would be good to just say "I"M doing FINE" and let it go at that... then they'd probably want to know why.. (it was the whacky weed I smoked last night or maybe since I got beamed up by aliens I think I'm doing better...)!! Add some humour and change the subject!!!

Or flip it on them.. oh yes, by the way how are you after your vasectomy/hysterectomy?....
i will have to apply some things like these...