Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss My Thoracic Discography - NEGATIVE in the Main forums forums; Sorry my capacity for posting is quite low. I'm in Bogen with a client and was OK for the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Default My Thoracic Discography - NEGATIVE

Sorry my capacity for posting is quite low. I'm in Bogen with a client and was OK for the first few days, but yesterday was very bad and I was down from 3pm.. could not even go out to eat. (Thanks Tim for bringing the Pizza!) If I can get through today, I'll be OK.

Was scheduled to come home on Monday, but instead I'll drive (6+ hours) to Holland. Tuesday, I'll go to the BetaKlink for discography. I had a wonderful conversation with Dr. Reul last night. When I was lamenting the fact that if discography was positive, thoracic fusion was indicated, he disagreed. It was great the way he put it:

"You look too much through orthopedical goggles!"

He suggested that fusion is not necessarily the next step. Perhaps PLDD (percutaneous laser disc decompression) or other MISS procedure would have an impact on my pain syndrome. We'll see. I'm glad that I get to continue the investigation there.

I have some clients with similar situations. I really love it that I have experience that may help them with their problems, but do not wish to acquire this experience by going through it myself!

I'll keep everyone posted. Wish me luck.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Good luck. You'd think this has to stop for u sometime. Hopefully stem cells kick on a bit and give some options too.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Well said by dr. Reul.

Depending on tear size, PLDD or endoscopic treatment should indeed be a first line of treatment for annular tears.

Good luck Mark!

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Default Mark/trip

Mark,
You are amazing! Or should I say your repaired spine is! Hope your t-spine allows you to resume traveling for further diagnostic purposes for yourself and although you are going thru it I do hope there will be good options for you (that unfortunately you are discovering re your own spine) and others as well! Hoping you have as safe and pain free travels as possible!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM

good luck Mark
Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Mark i am glad you are having the discography , it should show the painful discs as mine did . You are the best person to be helping clients, they are all very lucky. good luck
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 PM

HI Mark

I wish you the best You have been through the ringer

Lets catch up when you return.

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Mark,

I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this, yet again. Good luck - I'm sending you my angels.

Dale
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Postponed till Thursday.

I had a long discussion with Dr. Rosenthall while I was driving from Bogen to Maastricht on Monday. He practices near Frankfurt and is a leader in thoracic spine. He developed something similar to VATS at the same time that Regan was developing VATS in the US. He's also done many XLIF procedures and is working on some alternatives to VATS and XLIF. I look forward to meeting him and learning more.

Counting down the hours till my wonderful discography!

Mark
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 AM

Default Tuesday

Well, Mark, .... it looks like we both had our procedures today. I had facet injections at c4 and t1. It's the first diagnostic step for me that might ultimately lead to a thoracic discography myself. I'll be interested in seeing your next update.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Discography is done. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Reul. I have heard so much about how difficult and risky thoracic discography is. Some of the doctors I know who do discography warned me against it. When they found out that I was having it with a doctor with a great deal of experience with CT guided discography, they were more relaxed.

Having been in the procedure room observing more than 50 discographies, I have seen many that were very well done, and some that were not so well done. This was my fifth discography and my 11th level tested. As with all the two other needle procedures I had with Dr. Reul there was no sedation. However none of the past procedures were discographiy.

This procedure may have been the easiest of all the needle procedures I've experienced. Dr. Reul's caring, skill and experience are amazing. The pain I experienced on needle placement was very minor. He would get the needle close to where he wanted and take an image. He'd adjust the needle placement and repeat the process. There was not an intense pain when he penetrated the annulus as I have felt on other discographies. I was surprised to learn when he was all the way into the disc.

When he pressurized the disc, I felt a low-level pressure. At times I felt a very momentary sharp pain that shot horizontal across my ribs. People with thoracic problems will know that pain. However, none of what I felt was "my pain". My notes say 5 - 6 out of 10 NON concordant pain. Negative test.

I didn't know whether to be happy or sad. I'm glad that I'm not looking at thoracic fusion. I'm sorry that we still don't know what the problem is. Dr. Reul suggests going back to the facets. I'll write more later. I don't want to type a lot now.

Here are some of the images from today. The post-disco CT shows a pretty typical degenerated disc's distrubution of the contrast. The red arrows point to an accumulation in the 'sub ligamentous' space. The disc is herniated with an open annular tear. However the herniation is 100% contained by the posterior longitudinal ligament.

Note how narrow and curved the space where he needs to get the needle through is. This is why this should only be done with CT guidance and by someone with a great deal of experience. You may ask, "how can a doctor gain the experience?" The answer is, ON SOMEONE ELSE!

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-24-2011 at 03:02 PM.