Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Summer of surgery ahead! in the Main forums forums; Hey I posted a few weeks back about my situation. I have seen 3 surgeons since then, and it was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM

Default Summer of surgery ahead!

Hey
I posted a few weeks back about my situation. I have seen 3 surgeons since then, and it was a tough choice deciding what to do, as each person had a completely conflicting view of what to do!

One doctor said I shouldn't get ANY surgery, and if I did, just a lamenectomy at L4/L5. I did that back in 2003 and reherniated one of the operated on discs 3 weeks later!

Saw another doctor who said fusion at L4/L5 and L5/S1 was the only way to go and that he wouldn't even put an ADR in his dog (his exact words). He failed to mention the lasting effects of a full fusion with regards to my age, and was a difficult man to talk to, as he didn't speak unless spoken to the whole appointment! I had to mention to him which surgeries I thought were best! So certainly not my doc!

The other doctor I saw struggled for a while to come up with a plan. He said if I was over 40, it would be an easy decision, but since I'm 23 he was hesitant to do a full fusion, as it is so permanent.

Both he and another doctor he was consulting with decided on a course of action. Unofrtunately I'm not so much of a candidate for ADR at L4/L5, something about how major arteries were too close. So this May 18th I'm getting a fusion at that level, then 8 weeks later, a Prodisc ADR at L5/S1.

Its all booked, forms are signed and now the waiting game begins! I have to admit I'm pretty terrified of the prospect of 2 huge surgeries so close together, and spending my entire summer recovering. I know it won't be easy, and it's going to hurt, but I need this in order to go back to school and try to build some sort of life for myself!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is being done?

PS. The fusion will involve some of my bone and artificial bone, so nothing is coming out of my hip