Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 4 months post 3 level ADR and still having some stubborn issues!!!! in the Main forums forums; Hi all, Heading to a neurologist tomorrow to set up a EMG test and a possible myleo ct ( cervical) to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM

Default 4 months post 3 level ADR and still having some stubborn issues!!!!

Hi all,
Heading to a neurologist tomorrow to set up a EMG test and a possible myleo ct ( cervical) to see if the nerve roots at the ADR levels are still be compressed on by the left over disc material on the sides of the ADR devices. Noticing that the muscles in my hand are getting smaller especially on the outside ( between the wrist and pinky finger) and between the index and thumb). Hope the Emg comes back normal but I just don't know.

Not really looking forward to the myleo ct as it takes a spinal tape to be done. I just have to find out what is going on so that it does not progress any farther if I can stop it. I pray that the 40,000 I spent on my 3 level ADR was not wasted and that I am still just healing, I'm not even sure if it is nerve pain or muscle pain. When I put my head down to far though the pain is and ache is intensified to where the back ache and forearm pain come together, and the pain is further down than my upper back than where I had my surgery.

Anyone have any imput on these two tests as I am new to both. I feel like I went from a perfectly healthy man to a falling apart person in less than a year a d I hope I am just being impatient but my worry is that if the nerves are still be compressed then damage is being done that might not go away. This is the reason I tried to get to my herniations before they did years of damage to my spine and my nerve roots. So angry that this is a wait and see game that has me depressed and mad that I might have wasted all that money and not have some piece of mind. Surgeon says give it a year and that he has seen worse cases than mine get better over time, so I still cling to that hope and wake up every morning thinking that today is the day these symptoms will start to diminish. Sorry to vent but I am also so glad there are others on the forum that can relate and understand!!

Thank you all, Jarrod
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 AM

Hey man,

not a good place

I'd want a spinal tap like a hole in the head too

Hopefully.. nerve damage from the surgery, and gradually lessens over a year or two as they slowly settle...

Best
Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Jarrod,

I have heard horror stories about the myleo and refused to have one myself - but - if you can not get up and lay flat for at least 24 hours post test, you should be able to avoid the intense headache that follows in many cases.

As an outpatient, this presents problems. Though not 'cost effective' this test is much better suited to inpatients who can be transported via gurneys.

In fact, knowing about the possible headache, I don't know why this test doesn't always require the safeguard of not sitting up. I guess suffering doesn't matter!

See what you can do about renting??? a gurney of something that doesn't require you sit and insist that you be moved flat. Don't know how possible all this is but worth the effort to try to make it happen.

Good luck, Dale
Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Hey guys/gals,
Heading in tomorrow for a left arm EMG, to see what nerves might be impinged and where so I hope there are no nerves impinged and it is just that my body and nerves are healing, if something comes up up then off to the myleo ct next. Thanks for the advice.

Jarrod
Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Default myelograms

I've had 2 and both were very easy as procedures go but I ended up with horrific spinal headache due to spinal fluid leak and spent a week in the hospital after each one laying flat in bed until the horrendous h/a went away.

Now I don't want to do one ever again tho I have learned never say never pretty much. Sure hope I can steer clear of one.

Sorry to hear of your continuing problems and hope things will turn 'round for you soon. Hang in there.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Can you post the films here?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM

HI Jarrod

I had a melo and I thought my head was going to explode.
I also did way too much after the procedure, Went out to lunch, walk around town, and did not drink enough fluids.

I would suggest to lay low drink plenty of water you should be fine.

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Myelo can cause severe spinal headaches even under the best of circumstances. Not taking the post-myelo regimen seriously will not cause a problem if you are one of the lucky ones that will simply not have a problem. However, not following instructions can make an insignificant heatache much more significant... a mild one moderate, a moderate one severe and a severe one much, much worse.

Lay down, drink fluids... after you are sure that you are not going to have a problem, then you can go to your kick boxing class. Don't sustain the higher activity levels until you are absolutely certain that you are one of the lucky ones... I don't know how many hours you should give it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge or willing to do the research can say... but I would think you should wait at least 2-3 hours before you get up and about???

Mark
Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Default rest after myelogram

Back in the late 80's when I had my first myelogram one was advised to lie down flat for 24 hours post procedure and drink plenty of fluids. Unfortunately for me if I drink fluids I have to get up to urinate every 15 minutes. I felt like I had an anvil on my brain or a building actually so had to go to ER be admitted, be cath'd and lie in a hospital bed flat even to eat for 7days.

In the early 90's one was told "we're using a newer contrast that's doesn't have the same properties so you only need to lie flat for 8 hours post procedure." Same thing happened to me exactly.

And actually I had the same experience w/a spinal tap that I had when I was 16.

If one is leaking spinal fluid the h/a pain can be devastatingly severe. I'd recommend at least 8 hours of lying flat in bed and drinking plenty of fluids. Most men don't have to urinate nearly as often as women unless they have prostate problems, UTI. or perhaps and STD so a guy hopefully can lie flat for that amount of time.

If you have a really severe h/a even with the flat in bed routine and plenty of flluids call your doctor right away. All that being said hopefully you'll do well w/o any h/a. I'd be careful re heavier activities for a few days just getting back into the swing of things.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Hello All,

Mark i have not forgotten the pics, need some help on how to post them.
EMG results show ulnar nerve entrapment with surgery required asap, not good.
I will set up an appointment with my ortho DR. tomorrow and get his opinion on the Emg values and go in for the surgery asap. It is pretty bad i guess. there is some cervical impingement as well, but the neurologist did not elaborate on that aspect very much, so I have sent a copy of the results to Dr. Clavel in Spain and hope to get his opinion on the results of the cervical part of the test. See if he thinks a myleo ct is needed for further clairification of the cervical issues. Just an update about this falling apart man who just wants to feel better.

Jarrod
Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Administrator

I'm back from a brief weekend getaway. (30th anniversary, 35 years together!)

I'll be out all morning, but back in the office mid-afternoon. Give me a call and I'll help you to get the films up. (You can just email them and I'll put them up if you'd like.)

I hope you are feeling better. Talk to you tomorrow.

Mark