Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss S1 nerve root regeneration/healing possible? in the Main forums forums; ~11 years ago (I was 52 y.o.) my sciatica began with severe pain from my left buttock, down my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM

Default S1 nerve root regeneration/healing possible?

~11 years ago (I was 52 y.o.) my sciatica began with severe pain from my left buttock, down my left leg into my foot - suggestive of S1 compression. After 6 months of rest and PT, I had only numbness in my outer left toes. However, the pain/dysesthesia gradually spread back into the outer sole and toes. I could neither stand/walk or sit for more thqan 1/2 hour. About a year later I had a hemilaminectomy at L4. No improvement; got worse.

On 5/3/11, I again had surgery. The surgeon said that the L5-S1 had fused (by itself). He proceded to fuse L4-L5, did a hemilam at L4-L5 and L5-S1, and removed a significant amount of scar tissue from the previous surgery which was impacting the S1 nerve root. The surgeon said the S1 nerve root was "free", nothing impacting it.

Now, I'm on rest and rehab. No bending. twisting, lifting, etc. for at least 3 months, then we'll see. I still have numbness in my outer sole/toes. The pain is less, but I'm not doing anything.

Is it possible that the S1 root can/will regenerate; can I get my life back?

CraigCharles