Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss R U Thriving, Surviving or Dying? in the Main forums forums; I have some clients who are very seriously disabled and in so much pain every day, yet they seem to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Default R U Thriving, Surviving or Dying?

I have some clients who are very seriously disabled and in so much pain every day, yet they seem to thrive. I also know people who are still mobile and able to function well, yet the are just barely surviving.

I feel like I'm getting worse and I don't see anything changing soon. There is no good diagnosis or plan. I'm losing the battle with depression. I'm the guy who is supposed to help everyone else cope.

What do you do to cope? How can you thrive when it seems that every day is such a struggle?

Discuss.

Thanks,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Mark,
I am so sorry you are getting worse. It sucks.

I had a very bad day yesterday with emotional personal things and i was in a very depressed state so i waited until this morning. I feel a bit better mentally.

first i couldn't survive without my anti depressant meds and of course pain management.
I do get very very frustrated with my body. all this surgery and i can;t even stand up straight. My neck will always give me problems and i stuck in the head forward position with a neck brace. sucks and it is for life.
Other lumbar problems as well, plus stiffness of the whole darn fused spine.

My coping has always started with thinking about others with so many worse conditions. Or someone finding out their child is very ill. I'm lucky i am in better shape.
Then, although it is not exactly pain free, i go and do a hike in my local trail about every other day. I am so slow do to breathing loss, I know it aggrivates spine issues , but it is my saving grace. Keeps me sane. I used to run in the trails until 4 years ago with my hip replacement. It was rough and still bothers me that i cannot run at all. So for now i hike.
And enjoy the way down .
Then i really have to stay positive for my kids. I really want to , no reason to bring them down .
I guess that is what i can think of right now.,
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Default thriving surviving and such

Mark,
Sorry to hear you're not doing well and feeling bummed. It's so easy esp. when you're a high achiever usually very active person.

I'd say that I'm surviving and thriving to the degree that my pain has been pretty well controlled and I've been fairly active. Of course I don't do that much however have been consistantly been able to walk a good amt. and be social on a regular basis.

Recently with my upcoming move I did find that sitting re the drive from here to Laguna area does bug the crap out of my back quite a bit. Of course that had been laced with packing and lifting boxes (not too heavy or I can't lift them at all).

And I still have probs with sitting and pain vs. being able to walk and be upright.

Mentally how I handle the pain is probably has to do with the known vs. the unknown since I've had the same back patterns now for years. I have learned how to handle my flare ups and what minimizes and maximizes my pain. At least so far.

There's plenty I've missed out on because of my back probs tho there's so much that I felt I didn't ever think I'd be able to do again or even that I would feel as good as I have the last 6-7 years so I really try to keep that kind of mindset in check and not get down about how much I've missed out on and instead thinking of what I can still do and enjoy.

I know that when my pain is more acute or heightened my mental outlook changes tho I still feel that one has to be hopeful as best able.

Also I do try as much as I'm able to keep my general stress levels down and to enjoy what makes me happy and healthy.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up do you really want to know???

okay, i hate taking pills!!! i do consume about 12 adult beverages a week. i would rather enjoy something i like that takes the edge off than to take a crap load of drugs. as a female, i should only be having about 7 per week; does that make me a problem drinker? on the serious side, i truely take it one day at a time and dream of vacations in Hawaii !!!! I can be in pain in OKlahoma or on a beach in Hawaii; hum which would you choose? I rest when I can, I have gone part time at work, and I watch a lot of sit-coms to keep me cheered up. Along side of all that; I keep in touch with my forum!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Default ps, serious note

I am surviving. also, do NOT mix meds with alcohol! I am switching from Celebrex to the following and suggest others do the same: "Clinical Omega-3 and Pro-Enz" by; Anabolic Laboratories. Keep in mind that abuse of Rx meds can cause kidney failure!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Surviving (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylstewart67 View Post
I am surviving. also, do NOT mix meds with alcohol! I am switching from Celebrex to the following and suggest others do the same: "Clinical Omega-3 and Pro-Enz" by; Anabolic Laboratories. Keep in mind that abuse of Rx meds can cause kidney failure!
Hi Mark

I feel your pain As I am still suffering with moaning stiffness and pain as I move about things get better. Not able to work, etc. I cope with rest, walking. P.T. Messages. Enjoying our son grow and play sports, Try to do the best that I can, Be + and + things will happen!

Cheryl I am also taking celebrex when things flair up I hate taking drugs, Are the Omega-3 and Pro-enz helping???

Be Well

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Mark sorry to hear your having continued problems. When I went thru my neck issues I never thought things would get better. Time and persitence worked for me. I did things to keep my head as clear as possible. Made sure I slept well and exercised, yoga and stretched 5 and 6 times a week. Walked and walked somemore.

Over the course of 2 years what a difference it has made. After 5 cervical surgeries, I am in a place that I'm in a comfortable pain free place with my neck.

As luck would have it I have now had sciatica for 2 years, but I am working hard on that one. At times I want to give up and go for surgery, but I find positive outcomes, push on and hope time helps.

It'd really important to me is when I research on the internet I immediately close out negative BLOGS and postings. I only read positive and inspiring outcomes. Not that I discount real physical pain, but our heads , depression, anxiety make things far worse. I believe if I acted like this prior to my ADR surgeries I would never have gone to Germany. I added at least 2 surgeries by "getting caught up". Stay positive and find enthusiam.

I hope you find a place where you can work on yourself with inspiring thoughts of a good outcome.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 AM

Hi Mark,
I'm truly sorry to hear you are losing hope. You've always been an inspiration to me. You have always helped and encouraged the rest of us. I hope you regain hope and join the rest of us. Even just surviving is better than despair. Keep in mind we need you. The old MGH SD is dead. You and ispine are the only refuge left for some of us.

Mostly I'm surviving. Sometimes I feel like I can't keep going but I push myself to keep active which means going to work and exercising. Part of the reasoning is that I know I'll feel bad no matter what I do, so I may as well go to work and feel bad there. Work is a distraction that helps take my mind off of the pain and discomfort. I keep hoping my body will step up and heal naturally. It doesn't seem to be happening.

Earlier in this saga I could not imagine I would still be alive today. Surely a human could not endure this indefinitely. I thought that after several years I would be cured or I would be dead from surgeries, or suicide or who knows what.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Mark, I just joined here, but I have seen your posts in the threads I've been on so far. I hope you find your respite, but isn't it our mutual pain that brings us all here in the first place? Perhaps we were meant to enjoy this little community of friends. That said, I hope we all get better! My back is killing me!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Default This blows!

I know that's a bit rough.. like I'm a sailor or something tho here goes...
I had a right foot bunionectomy and 4th toe on right foot hammertoe surgery.

Ok I have been soooo freakin' patient about recuperating because I also have a condition in my right leg called Lymphedema. This means the lymph valves in this extremity are faulty so I have decreased ability to drain excess fluids/toxins from this extremity.. the foot that is.

So... have to keep my right leg/foot elevated above my heart.. have to keep this foot/leg wrapped with a compression dressing.

And my foot surgeon says.. have to wear thong sandals so that the great toe on the right foot won't move towards the other toes.

The recovery, the gimping, the not being able to wear my tennis shoes with inserts are really getting to my back. I mean ... really!!!!!!

I've forced myself to walk more than I really should in the footwear I'm allowed to wear BECAUSE of my back pain. This helps alleviate back pain for me. Unfortunately I activated my Posterior Tibial Tendonitis in both feet (or bilaterally) which again has me resting!!!!

It's a vicious cycle. I'm trying not to dwell on the various injuries and limitations imposed upon me because I try very hard to be positive and to forge thru things to remain mobile/acitve.

I do have to say that the body is a perfect balancing act esp as we age I believe. I do think that upsetting the "perfect (or imperfect tho functional) balance has alot to do with activation of pain (flare ups).

For all of you out there who are seeking answers with regard to your low back pain please do try to make sure that your footwear is supportive enough and comfortable.

Try the very most basic steps you can at first in terms of helping yourself with back pain. I've had 30 years of back probs and two spine surgeries. I'm not saying don't seek surgical opinions as I'm sure if you're to the point of contacting a surgeon you've been suffering. Just trying a bit re non invasive suggestions so perhaps making sure your gait and footwear is adequte and even superior could be first stop (leg length indifference).

Last edited by Maria; 06-30-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 AM

Jeez Maria, hang in there! You are strong girl.