Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Tramadol & Indigestion in the Main forums forums; I have been taking this drug (4x50mg per day) for the last 5 weeks, and this last week I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Tramadol & Indigestion

I have been taking this drug (4x50mg per day) for the last 5 weeks, and this last week I have started to get some indigestion through the night. I am aware that indigestion is a side effect of Tramadol, but does this side effect vanish after the drug is no longer taken, or could I be setting myself up with some long term problem. And how best to deal with this side effect?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Default re indigestion

Have you reported the indigestion to your PCP? Not sure that it is related to the Tramadol though if it's something that can be helped by the use of one of the many pharmaceuticals out there on the market your PCP should be able to prescribe something for you that helps.

The other thing is have you tried anything like drinking gingerale to help with your indigestion or ginger tea or something like this?

I had GI probs for a long time starting back in my 20's probably from drinking too much coffee, then taking Nsaids on an empty stomach so for years I was taking something like Zantac or Pepcid, etc..

Now I just drink diet Gingerale during the day when my stomach bugs me and herbal ginger type tea at night or chamomile tea and occasionally I take something like a Tums when my stomach is really bugging me.

Sometimes indigestion isn't our GI system complaining though so just think it's wise to mention it to your PCP besides getting something prescribed if needed. Sometimes if the GI symptom is still too much even with the use of some other medication on board to help then you might be switched to something that may not affect your GI system in the manner or maybe a long acting slow release medication instead of every 4x/day.

Does the Tramadol work for the pain?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Maria: I'm guessing PCP is our equivelant of a GP "general practitioner / family doctor" (I'm in the UK)

I haven't spoke to my doctor, however a neighbour who is a nurse thought it was quite normal and nothing to worry about, and a pharmacist also said much the same - Indigestion does seem to come up as a side effect to Tramadol. At the moment the indigestion is quite mild, it only occurs once or twice during the night and I can put out the flames with a glass of water. Just don't want to set myself up with some long term problem. (I have enough to cope with at the moment)

Yes the Tramadol does seem to be working for some of the pain. It has no effect on the big pain that stops me - the pain that compels me to lie down after 10 minutes on my feet or 5 minutes sitting is undiminished by the Opioid. However the Tramadol does seem to get rid of the low level pain that can otherwise go on and on for hours on end, disrupts sleeps and stops any form of concentration and makes life a misery.

To get an idea of where I am with the pain, I did come off the Tramadol for three days over the weekend - that wearing low level pain did return. (and did I feel weird on day one with no tramadol ) Back on the Tramadol now, and as I lie here and type I am entirely comfortable, about to head out into the garden for a while, at which point the tramadol will become useless and the pain will undoubtedly be back with its full nastiness.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Default re mild indigestion

Maybe try some ginger ale or herbal ginger tea. Sounds like the tramadol works for your pain and that's important. Seems like many drugs that work to take care of one condition might have some other effects i.e. opioids help with pain yet cause pretty intense constipation. Therefore often daily laxatives are added to the medication regime rather than discontinuing the drug that works to help with pain.

My Nsaid (non steroidal anti-inflammatory use) back in the 80's for my knee and low back did create some longer term GI problems for me or so I had been told by my doctors hence the long term use of GI specific drugs.

And yes PCP.. primary care provider or what we used to here call our General Practitioner and in some parts of the US might still be called that.

Glad you're getting some relief!

Last edited by Maria; 07-23-2013 at 03:13 PM.