Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss informative mattress website in the Main forums forums; I know every so often someone inquires about what type of mattress people have that help to alleviate back or ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM

Default informative mattress website

I know every so often someone inquires about what type of mattress people have that help to alleviate back or spine pain. I just bought a new inner spring mattress because my neck was bothering me a lot. I'm not sure I made the best decision because I went with a super firm mattress w/o cushioning and as much as the super firmness helps my back the lack of cushioning bugs my bones. Will work on rectifying that.

Meanwhile check this site out:

Unbiased Comparison of Mattress Types 2013 : Advantages and Disadvantages : Bed Pros, Cons : Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Air, Futon, Waterbed, kinds
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Will check that out. Can never seem to find a good mattress. Got a memory foam one just now whichIis terrible.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 PM

I spent a fair bit of money trying to find the perfect mattress and by chance eventually found the right one for me. (I don't get on with memory foam either)

Four years ago my dog had a bad injury and (I know this is utterly ridiculous, but...) I decided to sleep downstairs with him to keep him company. I used an old cheap foam mattress that was out of an old camper van. It was OK, in fact it was quite comfortable.

After a couple of months of this, the dog started to get better and we could all get back upstairs, (back to my own bed) I then realised just how uncomfortable our expensive bed was .. So I now sleep permanently on the floor on this el-cheapo piece of foam.

One great advantage of this situation is; When ever we go away and stay in hotels or with friends or family - I can roll my perfect bed up, put it in the back of the car, and be guaranteed a good nights sleep. Prior to this I used to hate the lottery of what sort a bed I would have to endure.

I think what I am using is known as a "Ripple / Egg-Box" and is supposed to be a topper for a proper mattress, but for whatever reason I find two of these on top of the carpet is the perfect answer for my dodgy back.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM

Default whatever works!

I've had 3 coil type mattresses and several futons in the last 20 years. Often I'd sleep on the floor with some type of Styrofoam type of base sold for campers (like 3 of these) and then two sleeping bags on top of that.

Did really well for a while and slept wonderfully. The cats liked it too because as they were aging they could just plop down and take over my "bedding" if I left it out which I did when using it daily. I didn't allow the dog to sleep on it because that would have been too many animals and not enough room for me. As it was often I had trouble claiming my own space.

I got nice wood platform frame and tatami mats and slept on that for a while with a thin futon on top but it became too hard and too lumpy both. The remaining 19 y.o. cat would not sleep on it.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go back to the store and talk to the manufacturer on the phone with the sales person at the store I bought the mattress from. I don't know if I really want to pay the restocking fee as it's about $250 plus the delivery fee again for another mattress in same store. Might just keep the mattress and hope it softens up a bit on top (the cushioned part). I weigh 116 lbs so I'm don't wear things down very fast (and that's a heavy weight for me).

I like the idea of the egg crate bedding that you can roll up and take with you wherever you go. Often at friends or even in a hotel I have to take the comforter and sleep on the floor
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM

Default mattress update after 3 weeks

Some would think me crazy but I believe anyone here with a bad back/neck would understand.

I bought a new mattress 82/13. Simmons Beautyrest Black Abrina II extra firm.
It was delivered 8/9/13. I felt like I was sleeping on the floor almost! My lumbar spine which is my biggest problem area liked it. My neck and t-spine and my freaking shoulder or arm that I sleep on (side sleeper) did NOT. I was bummed. Wah! I mean why why why do I have to have multiple areas of my body not agreeing on what I sleep on? I only bought the mattress and it was in my price range ($1550). I have a wood frame platform frame with tatami mats for support because I need really FIRM bedding.

I went back to the store I bought it from 8/26/13 and said it was "too" firm (like oh my shoulder is killing me from the pressure of my body and my neck is all screwed up) and I needed to switch to a different mattress while the labor day sale was still on. Done! Thanks to great sales people at Sears both in the mall I purchased it at and at another location the new mattress deal was transacted which meant I incurred almost no restocking fee and the delivery fee was waived.

Ok so new delivery date scheduled for 9/04/13.
Sure 'nuff as soon as I'd gone thru this whole process that night my thoracic spine felt better but my neck didn't.

That really made me question my Cspine pillow vs. overall too firm mattress because honestly my lumber spine is loving this mattress.

So today I called for a new delivery date of 9/10/13.

If I feel this current mattress is working for me I won't switch it out for the new one. I'm sure Sears will be happy to comply. They've been GREAT so far so why wouldn't they not want to have to deliver another absolutely new mattress to me and take one that's a few weeks slept on (tho totally covered and actually left the plastic covering on it too).

Anyway ~ yeah it does take a bit of time to break in a new mattress at least for me.

And yeah the new pillow I bought for my neck WORKED last night!!!! LegenDARY as Barney would say on The Big Bang Theory! Yes!

I love sleeping well and feeling good spinally and who wouldn't. It's has become as good as any of my dreams of traveling or "anything" almost!

Last edited by Maria; 08-30-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Default Just wanted to add

I now must say that if anyone has a bad back or neck/spine whatever please don't feel CRAZY when you have to return things or change your mind a few times or whatever because a new mattress or even going thru changing it and getting another one or whatever is (plane seats, school plans/sitting in classes/etc whatever) soooo worth it IF IT WORKS!

In fact whatever you have to do that doesn't affect others negatively to deal with your back situation ~ do it! Do not care what you look like or what others think. Taking care of one's own spinal needs esp. prior to however also after surgeries is what we have to do.

I don't really care if someone has never "heard that before." Now they have (ie salespersons, airlines, schools, etc).