Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss DDD / Lumbar - Try Physical Therapy? in the Main forums forums; F / 33yrs old Is there anyone who can provide any advice to me regarding physical therapy after a L5S1 disc ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Question DDD / Lumbar - Try Physical Therapy?

F / 33yrs old

Is there anyone who can provide any advice to me regarding physical therapy after a L5S1 disc bulge flare up? I hear that sometimes PT helps but sometimes it makes it worse. What is your experience?

My situation:
Disk Bulges in: L3,L4, L5/S1
L5/S1 bulge is severe w/ canal narrowing

I have had great healing experiences with my chiro during pregnancy and after. (I have a two year old). He has been treating me with my most recent disc bulge flare up. I keep messing it up because i am stubborn and start feeling better...then WHAM square one. I avoided the epidural shot and managed the pain. After 3 weeks, I finally broke down and got some pain killers to help me work. I was standing at my desk for about 3 weeks. I am now sitting.

I also saw 3 different spine doctors. They all told me the same thing as the chiro. My L5/S1 is shot. (But it is still there..there is space between the vertebrae).

I am in good physical contidion. (5'6 @ 115 lbs). In fact, i am a bit underweight. I have not worked out in a year and have been losing some muscle tone. I have bad posture but am working on it.

Anyway, I am getting decompression at the chiro. It helps.

Since the doctors and the chiro agree that i have a degenerate disc, I know that is the case. But what they do not agree on is PT. I want to try physical therapy. My chiro does not want me to try it. (He says I am in good physical shape and to do core exercises like plank, etc. ) I have a consultation next week at the Dr. They will recommend physical therapy for me. I'm not sure what to do.

I am requesting your experiences.

Has PT helped any of you?
hurt any of you?

I am really scared because I have never had a medical problem. Always been healthy. So, i am in a depression over this. I am trying to get out of my funk. I know it could be much much worse.

I just don't want to make it worse by going to PT when the only guy who has helped aleviate my pain told me not to.

What would you do based on your experiences?