Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss How bad before ADR in the Main forums forums; I have been wondering, what symptoms they do the adr for. I know that sounds like a stupid question even ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM

Default How bad before ADR

I have been wondering, what symptoms they do the adr for. I know that sounds like a stupid question even to me. But..do they do it just for chronic back pain, or do you legs have to be involved?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Everyone is different. Some have leg or buttocks pain, some back or neck pain, some arm... or any combination thereof. The one thing that seems to be a common thread is that our lives have been quite negatively affected to the point that we no longer had lives.

ADR surgery is huge and should not be entered into as a quick fix because it can and does cause it's own set of problems for many of us, some of whom are still looking for cures of the cure. I don't want to dissuade anyone for entering into the world but knowledge is power and you should know everything you can about your condition and what is your best course of action, including but not limited to an ADR.

Have you spoken to Mark, www.globalpatientnetwork.com. He's a great place to start and will have answers to many of your questions. He is the founder of this forum and the foremost lay authority and ADR patient advocate. Give him a call... believe me, you'll be very glad you did.

I wish you good luck, Dale
Old 01-04-2007, 03:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara

I had ADR and it's definitely not something you want to rush into and take it as a last option (at least in my opinion). I couldnt walk, sit, stand, move, drive, sit in a car, lie down, basically do anything and i was on 10-15 vicodins a day that didnt do anything. I had pins and needles going up and down my back and also down my legs, my legs would go numb (top of my legs), my back pain was radiating, sharp, burning, etc... But for me it wasnt limited to only my back.
Basically, for me I took having ADR as a last resort, and I would take any type of surgery in the same manner. Just my own opinion, but if you have problems that are completely unbearable and you can't function in society in any manner than I would do it, but if you can deal with the pain and have a life then I would look at other options for pain relief, i.e., PT, PM, injections, etc...
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex

Last edited by Blairsara; 01-04-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 AM

Man oh man - tough question to respond to!!!

I can only compare to my own experiences and would have to say that I asked this question many of times prior to giving in to ADR surgery. Even when the pain was soooo bad and on maxed out on the strongest of medications - I would still ask this question.

I guess, what made me pull the trigger was that I was only existing in life. Could no longer think of a future. The "future" consisted of planning my day as far as timing medications and activity....Gee, if I go to the mall, where are the strategic locations I can sit and rest & etc. I RARELY went anywhere really - unless I absolutely, positively had to. The grocery store was even a challenge!

After not having a life for like 3 years and after exhausting all of the least invasive measures first to get better - I felt that I was finally at the end of my rope and made that decision.

Unfortunately, only you can make this decision as to how you rate your quality of life. There is no manual or anything in the medical books that I know of that can make that absolute decision for you.

What worked for me was knowing that I tried everything else first before such an invasive procedure. Also, researching everything you can on your spine condition so that you can make the best educated decision you can make. Last, but not least - I would recommend getting as many professional opinions as possible before making that decision.

Wishing you pain free days ahead.

Poncho