Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Freaked out, cervical surgery inevitable..... in the Main forums forums; Hello all, I'm new and well, a little freaked out. I have always been very healthy and last year ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2016, 04:02 AM

Default Freaked out, cervical surgery inevitable.....

Hello all, I'm new and well, a little freaked out. I have always been very healthy and last year my thyroid decided to take a permanent vacation and then one day I went for my usual run and dang my shoulder hurt. Within a week my left arm was numb and very painful. I thought it was thyroid and it disappeared after 6 months only to come back with a vengeance this Jan.
So much for the thyroid theory. I've struggled all year and the pain keeps me from my beloved running, cycling, I can hike but no pack. Even hiking hurts after awhile. I am still it the headlight about all of this, I never saw it coming, no injury etc.

The verdict is I have bulging asymptomatic C4/5, broad based herniations C5/6 and C6/7, these 2 vertebrae also have some impressive hook like osteophytes which have to go as my spine appears to want to "self fuse". Left side only pain, tingling back, shoulder and arm. 4 consults, mostly orthopedic surgeons agree I am looking at 2 level ADR or hybrid but any fusion scares me...they say I still have movement at my C6/7.

So that is where I am at just found out this week the insurance debacle here in the US...my insurance may not pay for any of this. Apparently I am paying $700 a month for what again? This would be the first time in my life I've ever had to use my insurance so to speak.

I seem to have found a good doc who is working on the insurance verdict and I have submitted my info to Germany too. I'm going through the motions and dealing with the $ issue when I have some real numbers.

I feel like I am out of my league, any advice is appreciated.

Thus my feeling a bit freaked out. Thanks for listening.

Kes